Reload this Page >

Which would you do?

Search

Which would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Diaz

Which would you do?

Hi! My wife and I are in the planning stages of planning a year off to travel the world. We innitially talked about going to countries off the beaten path or countries we would not typical go to but want to see. Our thinking was that in our lifetime, we would probably see London, Paris or some of the more common tourist/traveler destinations at one time or another. Now I sort of have thought about the flip side of this. If we are going to spend all this money for a once in a life time experience, wouldn't we rather go to the places we want to, even if some of these destinations are the Londons and Parises. Which would you do?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:08 PM
jhm

A year off to explore is terrific, and it is absolutely fantastic that your wife wants to do it as well and you can share the experience of a lifetime with someone you love. Be that as it may, though, I'm not sure I understand the issue... <BR> <BR>You seem to be saying, "Conventional tourist track or nonconventional tourist track?" You can do both. Factors that should come into consideration are -- tolerance for difficult conditions, health and age. My husband and I, for example, are pretty young and in good health and are trying to go to places that are more physically arduous now. <BR> <BR>Go where you want to go, whether conventional or not. You never know what will happen in life. Carpe diem and enjoy the time with your wife!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:45 PM
elvira

Check into an around the world ticket; you pay one price, stop and go as often as you want, as long as you continue in the same direction (east&gt;west or west&gt;east, no backtracking). If you want to fly to other places along the way, just by a separate ticket or use other public transportation (example: heading east, you're in Barcelona, you want to go to Madrid. Fly r/t or take the train, pick up the next leg of your journey in Barcelona). <BR> <BR>If I had a year to travel, I'd go to London and Tibet, and Paris and Kyoto, Sydney and Prague....oooh all the wonderful possibilities...Wheeee! <BR> <BR>I'd be tempted to put a map of the world up on the wall, and throw a couple of darts to see where they landed...

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 03:52 PM
John

Diaz, <BR>Both. Do the London/Paris/Europe thing, then find some really cool way to get to the next pod of destinations, and on and on... <BR>F'rinstance, fly to Europe then take (I am a broken record on this) a freighter from Italy through the Indian Ocean and down the east coast of Africa to Kenya, or over to India, or from Spain down the west coast of Africa to Cape Town, etc., then tour and roar around, then take the train across India or up to Nepal and on; or do a Michael Palin and take the train from London to Hong Kong via Moscow and Mongolia. Have fun with the going to as well as the being in. Let the imagination run free, we'll all be glad to help.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:08 PM
YS

I would not exclude Londons and Parises of the world, but it depends if you've been there before or not. <BR>I would definetly spent some time in Europe, my priorities would have been: France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Check Republic, Hungury, Austria, Belgium, Switherland, Baltic Countries, Poland, the Ukraine, scandinavian coutnries, what was formally Yugoslavia (if it is safe). <BR>Then the middle east: Turkey, Israel, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan. <BR>Afrika: Egipt, Morocco, Kenya, South Africa. <BR>Aisa: China, India, Japan, Thailand, S. Korea, Indonesia, Phillipines. <BR>Australia, New Zeland, Tahiti, Fiji (if resorts are of interest) <BR>Americas: Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chilie... <BR>There's also a cruise to Antarctica, which originates in Chilie or Argentina.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:47 AM
lisa

I don't know where you're from, but if it were me and I had a year to travel the world, I would choose to concentrate on the farther-flung places rather than places that are easier/more inexpensive to get to from where I live. Since I live on the east coast of the U.S., I would not include Europe, simply because it will not be that difficult to get to or that expensive to visit another time. For the same reason I probably would not include most of Latin America. I would concentrate on Africa, Asia, the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand. These places are very far from where I live, airfare to them is costly, and to have an entire year to explore them is a luxury -- whereas if I want to visit Paris or London from where I live, chances are I can find a reasonable sale fare and a week or two to visit them any year of my life. <BR> <BR>Whatever you do, have a great time!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:54 AM
s.fowler

You might take a look at the travel journals of Wylie & Helene at http://www.gypsyjournal.com/Member.asp?MemberID=40 <BR>Scroll down to Paris and start there. They've just come home from well over a year on the road! They've gone places and had experiences I couldn't imagine, but it might give you a place to start dreaming <BR> <BR>Wylie runs the site -- I've used it twice for Macedonia and San Francisco. [I'm "Makedonka"] -- it's pretty slick actually

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Diaz

Thank you all for your response. I sort of was general on purpose to hear how wonderfully your mind would roam. Well, we live in California, Lisa, and are thinking along what you have suggested. We have traveled quite a bit in the U.S. and have "tentatively" illiminated Canada and the U.S. since as you have said, it is will be easy to do at another time. Central and South America we have gone back and forth because we really want to see Peru. The Carribean, we have "tentatively" talked about doing another time.To you Jhm, yes, we are referring to "conventional" vs. "uncoventional" and nothing about the Parises and Londons but it might come down to the time of the year we will be around there because frankly, I am not sure I am willing to deal with all the tourists. John! you have some great ideas. We have touched on South Africa and train rides but your suggestion is new. Thanks all and keep them coming!!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:58 PM
alex

Sounds like fun!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Cathy

I would follow the Covey philsophy which is pick your must dos (he calls these bigs rocks) and then fill in with your other ideas (these are the little rocks). His philosophy is to pick what is most important and fill your bucket up with these first (these are the big rocks) and then add in the smaller rocks based on priorities until your bucket fills up. <BR> <BR>My thoughts on what are the big rocks - what do I want to see before I die (in case I never get this opportunity again)? Is it the Mona Lisa, Buckingham Palace, the Coloseum, the Parthenon, Red Square? <BR> <BR>My little rocks for me personally tend to gravitate to the people and the culture - Italy, Greece, Spain, South America and the Caribbean Islands. I love to travel to places where 'vistor' (I prefer the word 'traveler') is not a four letter word. What excites you - is it the study of the orient, is it the beauty of the land, maybe its experiencing something that the typical American never experiences. <BR> <BR>So my recommendation - is pick the big rocks and then fill up the rest of your time with the little rocks. <BR> <BR>Best wishes - and I wish you the trip of a lifetime!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Paige

Have you read about the MacPherson's on Newsweek? Go to http://www.msnbc.com/news/433133.asp <BR>This family of 4 has spent the last year traveling around the world. Every week they post a report. I think they only have a few weeks left. Poo! You can read all the past trip reports. Very interesting!!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:16 AM
greg maddex

a few more suggestions . have been filling in bits and pieces of the world for about 30 years now. one of the first and best decisions i ever made was to see things first that might not last because the world is slowly and steadily homogenizing. peru is one of those places in flux so i would recommend doing it now . it is a short step from iquitos in the jungle areas of peru over to manaus and the headwaters of the amazon. from there varig sells a quite reasonable brazil airpass to hop to the coast and the cities. the wine tour of southern brazil is also as entertaining as it is hard to find. i would personally not miss the mountains of ecuador (quito), the galopagos, or lake titicaca if i was that close. <BR>in the same logic the barrier reef and the islands of thre north pacific are also facing a lot of pressure toward change. <BR>one other thing i did not see mentioned is places where you may have friends. family, family of friends. i have followed invitations to many originally unintended places and this has led to some of my most memorable experiences. <BR>also pay attention to your calendar so that you can spend chinese new year where it is celebrated , ramadan in a hindu country, mardi gras in latin america or the caribeen, etc. <BR>and finally , try not to get too locked into a schedule , because the very best opportunitieds will be the ones that come up along the way.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:23 PM
Diaz

Paige, thanks for that insight. I have printed out their chronicles. I have also read "A Year Off" about another couple and their three children who took a year off to travel. I'd love to hear a few more comments and suggestions from people. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:09 PM
Rosemary

Hi Diaz: <BR>What a great year to look forward to! I didn't see anyone mention Vietnam! I was there last year for 2 weeks North and South and contrary to my expectations it was just lovely! The counrtyside is very different from North to South, there are some wosnderful old villages that were colonized by Japan centuries ago. lots of very interesting architecture! I was impressed at the pottery and woodworking but most of all the people! I will never forget an attendant at the 'War Remembrance Museum' offering me a tissue and a softly spoken I'm sorry you are sad. Or the ladies who invited me into their house to see generatios of wonderful carvings and furniture when I shared that I am a designer. It is a lovely country and one that isn't overrun with tourists yet. Many people speak some English as there are lots or Aussies there. I would go back in a minute! <BR>I'm sure you'll have wonderful experiences wherever you go. I also wouldn't miss Angor Wat in Cambodia - lots of tourists but hauntingly lovely. <BR>Keep us posted!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:39 AM
dan woodlief

I would go for variety - some Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, and the Americas. I would absolutely include some of those places that take a good amount of time for travel, since you have a year - e.g., Africa, China, India, Australia, Central America, Russia. I would also try not to rush around too much. Not only would this be taxing on your body, but you will enjoy using the great amount of time you have to really experience and savor the places you visit. Hope you have a great journey. Make sure to document it in writing and pictures. I look forward to doing something just like this someday, even if it is after I retire.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Jen

You might think this to be cheesey, but you could pick a 'theme' for your trip, and depending on the 'theme', you could really see a lot! For example: <BR> <BR>1. See the seven natural wonders of the world. (Grand Canyon, Mount Everest, Victoria Falls, Great Barrier Reef, etc.) <BR> <BR>2. See the man-made wonders of the world. (Angkor Wat in Cambodia, The Aztec Temple in Tenochtitlan, Mexico, <BR>The Banaue Rice Terraces in the Philippines, The Colosseum in Rome, Italy, The Great Wall of China, The Inca city of Machu Picchu, Peru, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy, The Moai Statues in Rapa Nui (Easter Island), Chile, The Parthenon in Athens, Greece, Petra, the rock-carved city in Jordan, Stonehenge in England, Taj Mahal in Agra, India) <BR> <BR>3. Go to each continent. <BR> <BR>4. Do only 'islands' - New Zealand, Iceland, Madagascar, Bali, Fiji, Japan, Azores, etc. <BR> <BR>That's just a thought! Whatever you choose, you will have an amazing experience!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:47 AM
amI

Maybe I am missing something, but I'm sensing a bit of a troll here. Or, admittedly, I may be a little jealous, but&gt;.... A year is a long time. A lot of ground can be covered in that time. Geeez, some people "do" London and Paris in a few days each. That leaves you, well, another 51 weeks! Or take a month or three in Europe. Well you still have 11 or 9 months for the rest of the world. In a word: Prioritize. I hope the rest of your "planning" is progressing a little more quickly and proficiently than this. Good luck, sounds like you'll need it.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 05:53 PM
Diaz

amI, you are too funny. Yes we have a plan.You are not very helpful with your remarks. You might want to suggest something specific as some to the other readers have. The reason I was general was intentional and see how imaginative, adventurous or creative people are. Yes we will probably do the more obvious but I am looking for specific suggestions. AmI please refer to Johns, suggestions as an example. All suggestions welcome.