Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which two cities in Italy for 7 day trip...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm a frequent reader of these posts, but have never posted anything myself....until now. I'm planning on taking my boyfriend on a surprise birthday trip to Italy on the first week of November (7 days), and I would love your input as to which two cities I should plan on. We are both chefs, so it goes without saying that eating well will definitely be one of the main goals. This will also be our first time in Italy, and it's always been a dream of his to go there, and I'd like to make it as memorable/romantic as possible. Thanks in advance for all of your answers.

MB
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM

My favorite city in the world is Florence. It's romantic, visitor-friendly, lots of accessible (public) art, beatiful surrounding scenery, and great food. There are many other wonderful cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, etc.), but Florence is my all-time favorite.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM

And to balance that view, Florence is my LEAST favorite city in Italy.

I was going to suggest 4 nights in Rome, then move to a nice town in Tuscany for the other three nights -- Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, even Orvieto?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM

What are your interests? There are countless options. If you want to stick to the main cities you could do Rome & Florence or Florence & Rome. If you love food consider Venice & Modena or Parma. There are lots of foodie things to do in that area, as well as Tuscany.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies so far! We're mostly interested in food/wine, with a little bit of sightseeing thrown in, although not too much (we'll probably skip the museums, and such), but since it will be our first time, we'll definitely want to see the main sights. I think that I'd definitely like to do Rome, but I'm stuck on another city. Thanks again!

MB
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM

For the food and wine, I still think you can't beat Tuscany. What about staying at a "villa" or a "winery" or at least a wine town with wonderful restaurants (again Montalcino or Montepulciano.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

That's a terrific idea! Which of the Tuscan towns would you recommend? We're probably going to fly in and out of Rome. Staying at a winery or villa is also a great idea, and something that we'd totally be into. Any thoughts on wineries that allow overnight guests? Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Well if you're real foodies don;t bother with Venice - it's the only place in Italy I've found that has quite a bit of poor - and sometimes also expensive - food. (Way too many tourists who don;t know any better versus relatively few locals.)

I would do Rome and Florence. Different styles of food, different atmospheres and a couple of must see sights in each. And you can easily do day trips into Tuscany from Florence.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Well, it's hard to beat the Brunellos. Look at this site -- just outside of Montalcino. What's your budget? Be prepared to drool at the website.

http://www.castellobanfi.com/home.html
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I'm with NeoPatrick on this one - divide between Rome and southern Tuscany. My favorite cities are Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, San Quirico, & San Gimignano. You can easily take the train from Rome to Chiusi where rental car facilities are literally across the street from the small train station. Within 30 minutes, you're in the most beautiful area of Italy. The food & wine choices are abundant. Along with NeoPatricks suggestion, check out these relais as well:
www.lasaracina.it
www.amorosa.it
Happy planning!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I was in Tuscany this April - also just loved Pienza (it is off the beaten track) cobblestone streets, small shops, great food. Check out Hotel Il Chiostro di Pienza. Nice walking tours in the area. Also had fantastic lunch and wine tasting at Fattoria dei Barbi winery, and cooking class at Il Rigo agriturismo. (they also had rooms to stay that were beautiful.)
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick....DorkforceMom....all I can say is WOW! Thanks so much for this info. I am definitely going to go with one of those. At this point, I'm trying to decide between Montalcino and Pienza. This might be a stupid question, but are there any airports nearby? I was planning on flying out of Rome, but maybe there's a better way?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Most of Tuscany is only a couple hours from Rome, and you will probably do greater savings flying in and out of there than changing to Pisa or Florence airports.

I have to say, as a town I like Pienza probably the best. But if I were doing a real splurge that Castello Banfi place would be at the top of my list. I can't even bring up the rates, I think my computer goes into shock when I hit that button, even when I turn off the pop-up blocker.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

That's really funny...I thought it was just me, as the rates aren't coming up on my computer either. At any rate, I think that I'll probably go with Pienza. Sounds like it would be a good base. Thank you all for your help!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM

If you are both chefs, then without a doubt one of your cities should be in Piedmont, home of Italy's best cucina and wine, not to mention thta November is in the prime season for white truffles. Piedmont has been described as "Tuscany without the tourists" and has everything to offer that that region has, hilltop villages, castles,history, culture etc and if you are a serious foodie, then everyone in Italy knows that Piedmont is where its at. You could stay in turin, but I think that the Monferatto and Langhe area around Asti and Alba are the best place to stay to explore the countless wonderful trattorie and osterie.

Second choice for foodies would be Emiglia Romagna around Bologna area, take in Parma and Modena as well.

However if this is your first trip to Italy, then by all means choose a second choice of one of the classic Italian cities, Florence or Venice, it won't be so crowded in November.

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM

There are lots of good suggestions here, but there are some basic questions that need to be answered.

Where are you flying from?

Is the total trip 7 nights, including the flights in/out?

What is your price range per night per location?

Are you planning to rent a car? Can you rent a car, and are comfortable driving in Italy (which can be great fun!).

Personally, as a chef, I would recommend Rome, and - surprise! - Bologna! From Bologna you can take short train hops to some of the best eating towns around - Modena, Parma, and of course, Bologna itself.

I also think that you could shift your entire trip north, as suggested, and go to Piemonte, another region that every chef should visit. It is the birthplace of the Slow Food movement, and there is incredible eating in both small cities and the capital of Torino. Think Alba, Asti, - uh, it will be truffle season - and any number of other fabulous charming hideaways, all with fantastic food.

I would do Rome/Bologna, or the entire 7 days in Piedmont, some in Torino, and the rest in a small city.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Aarrgghhh!! Now I'm confused all over again. I'm flying from NY and the trip was supposed to be 7 days, including travel time, but in the past hour, since the most wonderful suggestions have come in, I've increased it to 9 days (not including travel days) flying in and out of Rome, and yes I was planning on renting a car. I've pretty much decided on Rome and I "thought" that I had decided on Pienza....and now I'm wavering...again. So, the consensus is Bologna? Can we drive from Rome to Bologna? Any thoughts on places to stay in Bologna? and while we're on the subject, I was thinking of renting an apt in Rome for our stay there....any thoughts on which part of the city I should look into?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM

With 9 days, you could fly open jaw, in or out of Rome and Pisa, and do most of the traveling by train. For instance, fly into Rome, spend 4 nights, take the train to Bologna, spend 3 nights, You can rent a car in Bologna for a day or two to explore, but you could also simply rely on the train.

Spend the last two nights in Florence, and fly out of either Florence (with one stop somewhere) or Pisa (direct to JFK).

Alternatively, you could fly in and out of Milan, rent a car, and eat your way through Piemonte. Nice.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM

"So, the consensus is Bologna?"

Whoa! Not from this poster. I've been to Italy many times and for long periods of traveling all over. I've stayed in Bologna and I really enjoyed it. And some will argue that Parma is the greatest food center of Italy, but in your situation to choose between Bologna and a Tuscan hill Town? No brainer -- Tuscany all the way. And don't worry about the "without the tourists of Tuscany". Tuscany will not be crawling with tourists in November!

Where to rent an apartment in Rome? Stick to the historic center -- Fiori, Navonna, or Pantheon, for example.
Here's the link to the wonderful one we stayed in next to the Pantheon this summer (our fourth and favorite Rome apartment). It's just one flight up, has a wonderful walk in shower as well as the huge tub, a very quiet bedroom, and a great view of the Pantheon and the square in front of it.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_minerva.html

but you can book directly with the owner (probably saving a little off the top):
[email protected]
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM

For food and wine, I'd suggest Bologna and Torino.

Bologna's got very good train connections, so unless you have a compelling reason to have a car (and one of them had better not be driving around Rome) I'd stick with the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -