Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which town to visit, accessible by train from Frankfurt

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iím flying into Frankfurt, Germany mid next week. Instead of going straight to Berlin Iíd like to spend 1.5 days/2 nights in a charming town with medieval architecture that I can access by train. I could stroll around the town the first day, second day do a Rhine cruise or pick a town to explore. I donít need formal tours, I love just wandering streets of towns and learning about their history.

Having a look online possibilities are Heidelberg, Bingen, Rudesheim, Erfurt, Bamberg. Any other suggestions or comments on which town I should choose?

I will then train to Berlin and spend 10 days there. I may do a day trip to Leipzig and/or Goslar. Iíve been to Berlin a few times but thereís so much to love.

Thank you!
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 01:07 PM

I hope someone with more knowledge can answer your question as I haven't visited the towns you mentioned but we really enjoyed the little town of Bacharach along the Rhine. It is about an hour train ride from Frankfurt and from there you can cruise further down the Rhine. Just a thought...
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 11:28 PM

Rather than Bingen, have you thought about Mainz? Which is not significantly far from Frankfurt so you won't be delayed on the way to Berlin. Mainz is pretty good in many respects (nice old town, great museums, 1000 year old cathedral). Ruedesheim is mobbed with tourists but is pretty. It's a launch pad into the Middle Rhine gorge (north) and the Rheingau (east to Wiesbaden), but you really have to make sure you can hack mass tourism before you choose it. Heidelberg is good, Bamberg is good (although these two are in the wrong direction for Berlin), Erfurt is good. If you are going to Leipzig on the way, Erfurt is in the same direction. I would also praise Goslar highly, and that would also be an excuse for me to see some of the other Harz towns (Quedlinburg is UNESCO World Heritage).

Lavandula
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 06:46 AM

You do know that there is a major football tournament (the Euros) going on right now, and one of the places they are playing in is Frankfurt?
England play Denmark there on 20th June. The place will be heaving, so if you are there then that is a great day to get out of town.
Germany play Switzerland there on 23rd and Romania play Slovakia on the 26th as well.

Of course that could be the reason you are visiting Frankfurt .
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 10:18 AM
kja

I enjoyed Heidelberg, which would meet your criteria. I haven't been to the other places you mention.