Town for overnight trip from Paris accessible by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I'm all finished with our bookings in Paris, I am trying to find a town for us to visit outside Paris so we get to see a bit of the countryside. Here are the criteria: 1 to 3 hours from Paris by train, preferably a scenic route for the train ride, must have a decent budget hotel, and must have enough to keep us busy for a day and a half (we are thinking to leave Paris early morning one day and return the next day after lunch) without having a car. "Busy" doesn't necessarily mean it has to have touristy sites/museums/etc., we like just walking around and seeing what daily life is like for people, too, and want a contrast to the city life of Paris. After reading a bunch of posts here I am thinking one of the towns in the Loire Valley area, but haven't been able to narrow it down. Any help is appreciated!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
rex

So many choices, so little time!

One disclaimer - - I have never traveled by train to any of these places, but I think all are easily, and directly accessible by train. I don't know that the train ride from Paris to anywhere "close" is all that scenic.

The first two destinations listed below are on my "would like to visit some time" list; the next two are places I have spent a half day each.

In the Loire:

http://www.loireholiday.com/saumur.htm

http://www.lamaisondemichele.com/situation-gb.html

In Haute Normandie:

http://giverny.org/vernon/index.htm

http://www.camembert-country.com/vim...s/infeng01.htm

There are dozens of other good answers to this question.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:23 PM

We did La Rochelle from Paris in 3 hours. It was a wonderful change...on the Atlantic, beautiful port, lighthouses, arcaded walkways with glamorous shops. Very romantic and relaxing. We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Champlain-France and Angleterre (maybe a different order combination, I don't have my journal handy). The rooms are quite reasonable and very lovely, and within walking distance of everything. (You would have to take a taxi from the train station, but it's affordable-Be sure to check out the train station's architecture--spectacular!) Restaurants are too many to choose from and of great caliber, depending on the amount you want to spend.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:24 PM

Normandy is wonderful - I did a day trip out there from Paris. We took the train to Caen, and then, straight from the train station, hopped on a bus that went out to the coast (D-Day beaches, etc. - we went to a small town that doesn't get much for tourists, and it was a great experience!)
A word of advice on transportation - the last minute deals are awesome. Check out www.voyages-sncf.com about a week before your trip, and you can get super-cheap tickets to many different places in the French countryside.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:30 AM

You might consider the Brittany town of Dinan. We liked our stay there very much. We went by train from Paris (probably with a change somewhere) and stayed three nights. Daytripped to Mont St. Michel by train and bus. Also, I've never been to Honfleur, but you might check train connections there. Or for a much closer option, stay in Chartres. Great town, great cathedral. J.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi al,

When are you going?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses, it looks like there are definitely a lot of options. Ira, I'll be going in the first week of April. Not sure about doing a seaside town then, I'm thinking it might be kind of cold and windy and we might be better inland.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM

There are literally dozens of options. You can be in Avignon via TGV in under 3 hours, so a trip to Provence is not out of the question.

Rouen is a beautiful, fascinating place that could easily fill a day and a half.

The Loire valley is another option. Take the TGV to Tours and then head to Amboise or Blois for the night.

The Champagne towns are wonderful.

So is Burgundy.

Take the train to Strasbourg and explore a bit of Alsace.

As soon as you get out of Paris, most of the rail routes can be considered "scenic."

Pull out some guidebooks and coffeetable books with pictures and see what appeals to you. There are so many options it's really for you to decide what sort of place appeals to you.