Which stations and how to purchase train tix from Vienna to Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to purchase one way train tickets from Vienna to Munich. I will be going from city center in Vienna to city center in Munich. Are there specific stations from which I should depart/arrive? Also, what is the best way to purchase tickets?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
aggiemom

Go to www.bahn.de and it will advise you of the various train stations within the cities. For example, I'm pretty sure you want the Hauptbahnhof Munchen.

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM

Depart from Westbahnhof, arrive Hauptbahnhof. Travel time is around 5 hours with a change in Salzburg. Tickets can be purchased at the station (best), most travel agents or online.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM

My travel time by train between Vienna and Munich is more like 10 hours.
Of course, that includes a little 5 hour quickie visit to Salzburg before getting on the next train. I leave my bag in the train station lockers.

I also think its best to just buy the train ticket at the station (cheaper, less hassle, and you can pay by credit card). Write all the pertinent info clearly in English on an index card (destination Munchen Hauptbahnhof, 1st or 2nd class, and number of travellers) and hand it to the ticket clerk at the Vienna Westbahnhof. You can ask at the window if a seat reservation is necessary and pay a few euro additional. The train ticket does not guarantee you a seat, but the seat reservation does. However, if the train will not be full, the ticket clerk can advise you of this and save the cost of the reservation. If this is the case, just don't choose any seats or compartments which have the little yellow reservation cards posted on them.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM

Oh wow! We just happened to get on a beautiful train going from Vienna to Basel (thru Munich?) last fall. We got on in Linz (having traveled from Cesky Krumlov) and off in Salzburg (heading to Rosenheim, which is SE of Munich, in Germany). Even the second class cars were new, modern, and gorgeous. I didn't want to get off and am considering a trip from Vienna to Basel in the future just to ride this train. It was by far the nicest train I've ever ridden in Europe. Hoping you have the same experience.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM

There are basically three rail stations in Munich, the "main" staion, as well as Munich Ost (East) and Munich Pasing.

From Salzburg you'll stop at Munich Ost first and then the main rail station (where your train will terminate).
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I guess I will wait to purchase the tix once I am in Vienna. I am assuming there is only one route via train to Munich?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM

kangamom, its a popular route so you shouldn't have any problems purchasing the tickets. We did the same trip and it was a very pleasant 5 hour journey. On a clear day the scenery is gorgeous.

When you get to Wien Westbahnhof, there are plenty of ticket agents that can help you. Just tell them you are going to Munich. A piece of cake!

Tracy