Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which should I choose baurB&B or LaVilla in Piedmonte?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
dac
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read all reviews on Tripadvisor and slowtraveler and here. We would like to be able to drive about 5-10 minutes into the nearest town or dinner each night. I've been in contact with Diana Baur and I know I can do it from there. Not sure about LaVilla. I was all set to book BaurB&B and then ekscruchy(sp?) mentioned lavilla to someone. I'm looking for any help you can provide. Where would you stay for 6 nights in Sept? Thank you.
Dac
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM

The Baur B&B gets rave reviews, but for location I would prefer futher north near Alba--look at Villa Favorita or Villa Sampaguita near Asti.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
dac
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. What is the reason we should stay north? If we do chose Baur will our travel time every day to the towns be long and on windy roads?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM

The best part of Piemonte to me is the area just south of Alba--the villages of Serralauga, Monforte, Barolo etc. which are actually due west of Acqui Terme about an hours drive. But, Diana may know of good alternatives closer to home. I am just a nut on location.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
dac
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I've followed your advice about Tuscany and stayed at Amorosa and been happy. I just got availability from Tim and I'm thinking about getting the apartment - the rates are incredibly low. Any thoughts good or bad on the apartment versus the rooms in the main house? I know you've stayed there - why there versus la favorita? Thanks so much!!
Dac
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM

I am staying at Villa Favorita next month. I chose it because it is located just outside Alba and just a few minutes drive from many of the wine towns of the Langhe. We have four nights there and will stay one night here:

http://www.marcarini.it/

I will report back after my return in late April.

The Baur B&B looks absolutely lovely but it is not in the same area of Piedmont.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
dac
Original Poster

Hi ekscrunchy,
I've read all of your posts regarding your upcoming trip. We also want to be close to the town without driving far at night for dinner. Based on what you and Bob have said, I think I will concentrate on Alba or Asti also even though baurB&B looks great. After a full day of driving, my husband does not want to drive another hour to get back to the hotel.
If you don't mind my asking,why are you moving to marcarini for one night (which looks beautiful) Also did you consider Vill sampaguita and la favorita? They are both available for my dates so I'm trying to make a decision. Do you know if there is a TV in the rooms at La Favorita? My husband likes to see CNN at night just to see what is going on as do I. I've followed your travels through Dordogne and love your recommendations. Where do you live in NY? We are originally from NY now in SoCal Talk about a difference!!
Thanks for all of your info and great posts.
Dac
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Just to confuse things, here's another option, though it's not for everyone. In October in the Piemonte in 2007, we stayed in the Barolo-producing village of Monforte d'Alba, at a B&B called Le Case della Saracca, http://www.saracca.com/. The owner, Guilio, has constructed very modern rooms from a very old building, leaving many of the old elements in place -go to the website to see what I mean. I'm pretty sure there was a tv. You can see my rave review on tripadvisor. Breakfast and snack things are provided, but for coffee and hot food, you have to walk down into the center of the village. We loved being able to do that, but not everyone does.

Guilio was incredibly kind and helpful, and he's recently opened an enoteca in Le Case as well. We had very interesting wine tastings, set up by Guilio, at Podere Rocche dei Manzoni and Podere Ruggeri Corsini.

The location was great for us, because we were focusing on exploring Barolo wines in particular. There are several good restaurants in town (we ate at Giardino del Felicin one night), which we could walk to, as well as an even better one 2 km outside of town, Trattoria della Posta. Another night we drove to Antica Corona Reale da Renzo, about 25 minutes away - my least favorite meal. My favorite meal was our lunch at the gorgeous La Ciau del Tornavento, which is east of Alba, in the village of Treiso.

Wherever you stay, you'll love the Piemonte!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM

Hi Dac!

I live in Manhattan. I researched/obsessed endlessly about this trip, as I do all my trips!

I had the same feelings as you do about the driving after dinner and that is one of the reasons I chose the Villa Favorita, which is just outside Alba. So we could have the option of driving a short distance, taking a taxi, or perhaps walking, to Alba if we do not want to drive further for dinner.

I know others may disagree, but in my reading I came to the conclusion that Alba was a nicer town than Asti and also closer to the major wine towns of the Langhe.. Tim's place sounds fantastic, though, and you get an idea of how helpful he is from reading his many posts here. I think that that area is known as the Monferrato, not the Langhe. I cannot imagine that you would go wrong staying there based on the TA reviews!

I had written to Baur when I began planning, thinking that the location would make it easy to drive to the Genoa area for a day trip or overnight; they were closed for renovation during our dates and with further reading, I did find that the Alba region might make a better base, although none of these distances are very far and the roads are good.

The rooms at Favorita have satellite tv, which my partner will be happy about! So that means they will have English language stations, probably CNN.

The owner, Roberta, is very responsive to e-mail questions,so you can double check.

Our stay at the Macarini winery was arranged for my partner; we will have a tour there and a tour at a couple of other wineries. It is certainly not necessary to change bases in the Langhe area. Macarini looks absolutely beautiful but I've not seen any reviews for their facilities.

From there we will drive to Turin for 2 nights (originally were planning 3), and then either drive or take the bus to Malpensa for our return. (Still deciding whether or not to keep the car parked in Turin so we can drive to the airport; price is the same for a 5-day or a 7-day rental)

I love to discuss trips, so fell free to ask anything else..it will keep me busy so I don't have to make those dreary phone calls about car rentals..
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
dac
Original Poster

Lexma - Thank you for that information. I've looked at their website and sent an email requesting availability and information. I would also like to be able to park the car and walk into town to eat dinner or get a coffee etc. We stayed in Sarlat(Clos de Boete) for that very reason when visiting the Dordogne. I'm assuming that you were close enough to visit the surrounding town for daytrips.
ekscrunchy - Thanks for all of your detailed information. Only a New Yorker would say Manhattan! LaFavorita also has availability. Decisions, decisions I can't wait to read your trip report. I just feel like I want to make my reservation soon for the hotel..
Dac
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM

That is funny about Manhattan--I'd never thought of it that way!

I think September is a very popular time of year, so I understand thinking about booking soon..

Take a look at the TA reviews of Villa Favorita; they are excellent, but then there are many properties around here that get amazing reviews. (I had others marked, too..but finally settled on VF)

http://www.castellodiverduno.com/eng/cadelre.asp
http://www.cortegondina.it/welcome_eng.lasso
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I agree that Alba is the better location and Favorita gets good press. We stayed at Villa Sampaguita for 9 nites as part of the amazing Palio d' Asti festival in Sep. The features there are two owners. If you do stay there get the apt. We stayed there--have you seen my photo gallery?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Here are the pics. The apt. is the lower bldg. to the left of the main house. One pic has my wife setting up for drinks. The drive into town is about :10 but is not real easy after dark.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4172
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Bob: If you have a pic of the interior of the apt it might be easier if you post the link to that rather than the general link for all the photos.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Sorry, I do not. It is rather rustic but comfy and with kitchen and frig. I was wrong about the wife pic.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I do have a closeup from the exterior of the Apt. if you want it. I can email it from Picasa.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Monforte is definitely easy to visit other places, particularly if you're interested in towns more on the southern, Barolo, end of the Piemonte. Following is what we did.

We arrived in the afternoon, and just puttered around Le Case and the town, talking to Guilio in what would become his enoteca. That night, we drove to dinner at da Renzo.

The next day, we visited Manzoni for most of the morning, then headed to Le Ciau for a very long lunch. After that, we went back to Alba for the truffle festival, and spent some time there (the town was totally packed). We would have spent time exploring other towns, but we spent so much time at Manzoni that we didn't have the time (we very much enjoyed the winery, though). Before dinner, we had drinks at the Barolo Bar in Monforte. It felt very much a local place, but the owners were very welcoming and had delicious complementary antipasti. That evening, dinner in town.

The following day, we visited Ruggieri Corsini. It's primarily owned and operated by a woman, which I very much appreciate. A much smaller operation than Manzoni (which is also quite small), so it was a good contrast. Afterward, we headed to the village of Barolo, where we explored, visited the town enoteca, and had lunch. Then we wandered on to La Morra, where we took a leisurely walk to the brightly painted (and somewhat controversial) chapel of Santa Madonna delle Grazie. Next, a less-good decision: we headed back to Alba, as DH wanted to spend more time there. It was even more packed with people, and we got caught in traffic heading out of town. That night, another visit to Barolo Bar, then dinner at Trattoria della Posta.

The next day, we were headed off to Torino, but we spent most of the day in the Piemonte. We drove first to Serralungha d’Alba, via a beautiful ridgetop drive. Then on north of Alba, to Barbaresco. We visited the communale enoteca there, then had lunch at Rabaya, just south of town. We then made a visit to Nieve, another gorgeous little town, before heading to Torino for two nights.

The Piemonte is an absolutely gorgeous area, and each town if cuter than the next. The food is fantastic, has a bit of a French influence (while still being Italian) and it's very easy to over the top in terms of consumption! Enjoy!

When you correspond further with Guilio, feel free to mention that Valeria suggested you stay at his place. We will return there some day!
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Lexma90: Many thanks for this wonderful information.

Am I correct that you wrote detailed reviews of eating in Piedmont? I am trying to find these here on Fodors and also on CH without success...can you post the links if, indeed, my memory is correct..
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Your memory is correct! I'm not going to try to post links, because I'm not so good at that. I posted those detailed restaurant reviews on egullet; it's under the heading Piemonte Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations, and I posted my stuff on Nov. 2, 2007. Let me know if you can't find it - I found through signing in to my account, under my posting name (Lexma90). It was great fun to read again! I think I also posted on eGullet, separately, short reviews of several restaurants in Torino, but I'm feeling too lazy right now to search for them. I have an aol.com email account that uses my Fodor's name; feel free to contact me there if you have any other questions re restaurants or the Piemonte.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Yes! Now I remember! Many thanks for reminding me..I will return and read the threads, and then come back or e-mail you with any questions. We are leaving in about a month...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -