Which Rail Pass for France/Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will only be on the TGV from Marseille to Bern, trains around the OB, then Switzerland to Northern Italy. We want to travel first class, which rail pass do you suggest?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Hi jelane,

Unfortunately, the only real way to know for sure is to do the math -- get the prices from each country's rail site, then do a spreadsheet or something similar. I'm not fond of math -- at all! -- so will only grudgingly do it for myself!

One shortcut is to use the site www.railsaver.com. Input your itinerary and the travelers' data and then click on "only if it saves me money." You'll get a figure for the point-point tickets, though I've heard that the figure isn't wholly accurate -- but it may be enough to give you an idea of the costs.

Another way is to call a professional and let them do the work for you, then buy your tickets/passes from them. You could use Rick Steves or Budget Travel Europe (BETS).

Good luck!

s
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Swandav you have been a huge help to me in the last month or so. I am strongly leaning toward the TGV to Bern and renting a car in Bern for the trip to Wengen and then onto Lake Como, my husband and I would have some freedom and we can take some scenic train around the OB for a train ride. My husband drives in the Middle East, Europe and South American in his business, surely he can get us around in Switzerland. Thanks again. But if you have any restaurant choices in the area send them onto me, or any tricks to picking up a rental car in Bern and dropping off in Milan....The Milan part could get crazy...thank you again, you are always there for the posters without critsism, I wish that some of the fodorites on these boards would sometime remember that they are answering questions that they have had the answers to and given for hundreds of time, newbies and novice travelers the smallest question is a big deliema for them, and just because the words do not flow exactly shouldn't mean they get some of the feedback they do. I guess I have vented on this Saturday morning, perhaps I need coffee. Have a great weekend.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM

BETS (www.budgeteuropetravel.com) will give you expert free advice with no obligation to buy a pass from them. Call 800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the very kind words, jelane! I'm sure you'll have a trip to remember!!

Maybe you'll post a trip report -- !

s
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM

ps, Do you already know that Wengen is a car-free town? You'll have to park in Lauterbrunnen for the days you're there. So, it really does make sense to pick up your car as you're leaving the BO (sorry if I'm harping on this!).

s