Bringing back booze from duty free

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the limits on liquids in carryons, how does one buy wine in the airport and bring it back with them? I have a connection in Philly on my way to my home airport. Would I have to put the booze in my checked baggage in Philly?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
J62

Yes, you must put any booze you purchase into checked bags in Philly.

Or else Philly TSA will be having a party after hours.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You have to say exactly what your transit points are for assistance.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
J62

Exact transit points not needed.

I'm assuming you are flying non-stop from Europe to Philly. You plan to purchase alcohol at duty free shop in Europe and have it delivered to the plane.

When you arrive in Philly, you will have a bottle or 2 in a bag as you collect your checkin bags and pass through customs.

Outside customs you will recheck your bags for your domestic flight. All liquids (ex the 3oz stuff) needs to go in the checked bags, else it'll be confiscated as you pass through security for your next flight.

QED.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I was curious about this same thing when I saw people buying wine, etc. at the Duty Free shops in Paris before boarding the plane to Dallas a couple weeks ago.

As the Duty Free was in the "secured" area of the terminal, they could carry it aboard.

However, once we landed at DFW and went thru customs, baggage claim, etc., those folks who were connecting to another flight had to repack the liquids into their checked bags before returning it to the baggage handlers for the rest of their flights.

I noticed several "heated" discussions going on between passengers and baggage handlers. It was obvious that these passengers did not know they had to do this, and most did not have room left in the luggage for repacking the liquids. They were asking about boxes supplied by the airlines, but none were available.

Another couple had already re-checked their bags for their connecting flight, only to find out that they now had to leave their liquids at DFW. To say the least, they were not happy campers that day.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is a big banner over the security area in Paris: "Anything bought after this point can be taken on the plane." Absolutely true. But if you are in transit for another flight after that, different rules apply.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Last time I bought liquor from France, i had to check it in my bags... they were rather strict so be careful!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I think I will decide to leave the lemoncello in Rome this time. We have a tight connection in Philly as it is and having my bad sent all around the country with large bottles of any liquid gives me pause. Drat.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:33 AM

So, I layover in Frankfurt airport (from Boston) on the way to Zagreb. Can I buy booze in Frankfurt and take it in checked luggage to Zagreb?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM
ira

Hi Mike,

Yes, if you can get at your checked luggage.

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Having just returned from Paris last weekend, I can attest to what everyone is saying. I bought a bottle of wine for my mom in the duty free shop at CDG, didn't realize I had to put it in my luggage in Philly so it was confiscated. Oh well, told my mom, "your souvenir from Paris is in Philly"
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM

ps If you do want to take something liquid home, you'll claim your luggage in Philly, then you'll have to put your bottles in, before re-checking it.
It depends on how much time you have in Philly whether it's worth it or not.
It took us quite a while to go through the whole process. The Customs and Security lines were long and time-consuming.