Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which places to visit in europe during late december- january??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all! i am planning to see some parts of europe during mid december- january. my present location is stockholm, sweden. which places wud be worth visiting in europe during the cold winters considering i'm interested in a lot of sight seeing!
also is december a better time or end of february???
pls give me suggestions, since i want to hv a nice euro trip !
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Mid Dec-Jan will involve a lot of holidays when sights are closed, transit is rare or nonexistent and even many restaurants are closed. End February will probably be colder but everything will be open (except at beach resorts) and the days will be a little bit longer. As long as you're focusing on cities anyplace should be fine (and no colder than Stockholm) as long as you don;t head for Russia.

If you're looking for someplace warmer you could explore southern Spain - not beach wether but less cold - and a fascinating area with a lot to see and do.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
P_M

Hello there. I see you are a new poster so I would like to offer a word of friendly advice. You tagged this post "Sweden" but the tag is for the place you would like to visit. If you don't know exactly where you want to go yet it's perfectly OK not to tag it.

I have been to the Greek Isles at that time of year. It was nice and very uncrowded, however a lot of places in the islands are closed during the winter. In Rhodes I found most everything is open and I've heard the same is true for Crete.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
P_M

I just thought of something else. Do you have any interest in Turkey? I was there in December 2008 and it was beautiful. Not beach weather but mostly sunny and no bad weather to speak of. Cappadocia was the coldest place I went but nowhere near the cold you are accustomed to in Sweden. I live in the American south so if I can handle the temps in Turkey, then surely you can too.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM

nytraveller transit is not rare or non existent over the holidays in many countries. The UK yes, and on Christmas Day it is limited in most countries, but is still available.
The same with museums and attractions. In Amsterdam the only day the Rijksmuseum and van Gogh museums close is New Years Day, the only day Anne Frankhuis closes is Yom Kippur.
Plus there are 59 other days in those two months to visit somewhere, you are not restricted to Christmas and new year.

February is a miserable month anywhere in northern Europe, and probably not a whole lot better further south - however the day are getting longer by then which would be an advantage if you want to do more than museum hop.