Which Paris Apt - pick from 4?

Apr 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Which Paris Apt - pick from 4?

Ok fodorites...I need some serious expertise here. I am narrowing down my Paris apt. search, and need some advice. I have included 4 potential apartments, including description and links. They are all have pretty similar nightly rates. Any advice on location, neighboorhoods, safety, etc. would be much appreciated. Additionally, if anyone has had experience with any of these rental agencies, that would be helpful as well.

APT #1 - 2nd adr. on Rue de la Paix, 269 sq. ft. http://www.welcome2france.com/apartm...?apartments=42

APT #2 - 8th adr. on Rue De Monceau, 430 sg.ft. http://www.beau-paris.com/_apt/monceau/en_pictures.htm

APT #3 - 8th/16th adr. on Rue Bassano, 375 sq.ft. http://www.parissweethome.com/parisr...aris.php?id=58

APT #4 - 7th adr. on 11 Rue Duvivier, 208 sq.ft. http://www.rentparis.com/6/6.en.html
Apr 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Are you traveling alone or with someone? I have not used any of these agencies, but a few observations:
#1. No washer. At least, none listed. Does that matter to you?
#2. No elevator AND it's on the 3rd floor (assuming they mean 3rd floor European, which is 4th floor American). Maybe you like stairs, but we'd prefer elevators once you get above 2nd floor (European).
#3. Looks the nicest to me. Check on the bed size--it looks like a 160 cm bed to me, which is fine (we slept on one for years). If it's 140 cm and you're traveling with your SO, it might be too small. Also, no elevator, but only one flight up. Finally, it says washer in the kitchen, but photo shows it's in bathroom. I'd just check on that to make sure the bathroom and the kitchenette aren't the same room (no kidding, we know someone who rented a Paris apartment only to find out the shower was IN the kitchen).
#4. Looks just too small to me. OK for a single, but for two people...hmmm. Also, ground floor overlooking courtyard. Not too exciting. And you need to ask if you're required to roll down the security blinds every time you leave the apartment. We rented a ground floor apartment in the 16th once and that was the worst thing about it--it was a much larger apartment and rolling down every security blind even when we were just running to the grocery store got to be a PIA.

Just my two centimes. Or eurocents.
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Neopolitan

Good comments from BTilke.

I wouldn't call the first one an apartment. They refer to it as a studio, but from the pictures with the large bed permanently there, and judging from the total square feet, I think you've already seen the whole thing. I strongly suspect there is NO seating area at all. I'd think it is basically a hotel room with a bath and a built in kitchenette.

Think of an average sort of bedroom that is 14 feet by 14 feet. Now picture taking part of that away for a separate kitchen, and now take more of it away for a "large" bathroom and a hall. What is left is the unit described in the last of the four. I doubt I could turn around in it.

The bed in number two looks like it is wedged against a wall. If there are two of you that means one must crawl over the other to get in and out. Does that work for you? Meanwhile the folding chairs and really cheapo furniture are a big turn off to me. And add me to the list who would prefer to avoid a fourth floor (US) walk up. That gets old quick after long days of walking.

I think the third one would be my choice, same as BTilke. By the way though, the very small kitchen in that one is clearly an alcove in the living/dining area, not in the bath. You can see it in a picture. You aren't planning on preparing gourmet meals are you? I think it's more of just a minimal efficiency style kitchen.

Apr 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM

A dissent: I like the decor of No. 1, and while I haven't hunched over the map, I believe I prefer the location, too. (There are no safety concerns at any of those addresses.) Is there a sitting area? My guess is yes, consisting of a very small table for dining and two un-upholstered, or very lightly padded chairs. You could ask. If there weren't, why provide dishes and cutlery?
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Without looking into each with much depth and strictly on the looks of the apts, I'd go with the #1 choice. Just my opinion.
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM

I agree with No 1. Looks like a safe bet. Maybe it's not as big as the others, but it is obviously well appointed & looks clean, and inviting, etc. Good area, too.

I feel safer renting places through commercial agencies rather than mom & pop ones. You have to wonder if those places are up to code, etc. (Will you cause a fire if you plug in your cell phone charger & laptop at the same time, etc..!) I once went an entire night in Prague with no electricity after the power went out during a storm. Landlord was missing in action. Only the cleaning woman (who spoke Russian) was able to help me the next day when she showed up to clean my place! lol!!
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Neopolitan

Dave, you could be right about a couple of kitchen type chairs and a table, but for an apartment I'd sure want at least one upholstered comfortable chair to sit on. What I hate most about a hotel room is often that there is no comfortable place to sit -- and I'm not one for lounging on the bed. I strongly suspect that is the case with this place.

Based on the overall square footage, approximately a total of 15 X 18 feet, again once you deduct the size of a bathroom, there can't be much more to the main room but what you see in the picture.

Apr 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Granted not much more, but bathrooms do come in different sizes, including some that you'd hardly believe. The hotel room comparison isn't far off, but most hotels don't have kitchenettes, which can be money savers, and in Paris hotels, 269 square feet requires a pretty generous budget.
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM

#1 is nice but soooo small.
Don't like # 2 at all.
I really like #3 and it is fine being on the first w/no elevator. And it has a bedroom.
#4 is lovely but I don't love studios.
My feeling is if you are staying in an apt, it should have some room, otherwise a hotel room is fine. So a studio apt in Paris does not attract me..
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Neopolitan

Well, it's all in what you want or need, but in my opinion, a bedroom with a mini kitchen in it does equal an "apartment".

Apr 6th, 2006, 04:22 AM

"When one reaches a certain age, the arms of a chair beckon more than the arms of a woman."

- Gustave Flaubert

Sorry, couldn't resist that. But Paris is rejeuvenating. I still admire the facilities in apartment No. 1.
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Dave, I misread your quote and thought that I still have not reached the age that I might find "the arms of a chicken to be more appealing "than a 'mans'.. LOL...
I wish that age comes very very late for all of you men (and women)

Now-I know we probably overpaid for the ParisPerfect Apt we stayed in last Spring, but it had a seperate kitchen, an actual living room with a dining room at the end, the toilet was seperate from the bathroom and the bedroom fit a kingsize bed with a little desk and closet.
That is an apt to me.
I have stayed in hotel rooms as big as some of these apts and I got maid service and room service, so if I am giving up the pampering, I want an apt that at least has a bit of walking space.
This is why I agree that that apt is just too small..how much more is it than a nice hotel room?
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Neopolitan

Dave, I must say that even before I was of a certain age, the arms of chairs beckoned me more than the arms of a woman. (WINK)

Apr 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM

It's small but I would go with #1. Seems to be well-appointed, clean and great location!
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM

While I have no opinion on any of the listed apartments I would recommend Welcome2France. We just returned from renting one of their apartments in the 1st. We rented from 4/1/06 through 4/7/06. Laurent, our agent, was very profesonal. Everything in the apartment was as advertised. I have no affiliation with this company other than renting an apartment.

Karl