Which Opera to attend in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thankful to fodorites for helping me out for similar selection from London musicals.
During our 4days' stay at Paris in mid-May, we want to attend at least one french opera.
We wanted to attend a good show at Opera Garnier. But, I could not see any show going on their web site http://www.operadeparis.fr/ during our visit period!
Opera Bastille is running 2 shows during this period. Lohengrin & L'Affaire Makropoulos.
Do you have any suggestion? Any good show with Parisian touch will do.
In addition / in option, I have thought about Moulin Rouge and Lido also, as some of you might be knowing.
Thanks in advance.
K.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to add that we do not know French.
Thanks.
K.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM

First of all, Lohengrin is sung in German and The Makropoulos Affair in Czech. I imagine that the surtitles, however, are only in French, so you may have some difficulty following the plots.

I wouldn't say that either opera is particularly accessible for the casual or first-time opera goer (as I assume you are if you have to ask about them).

My own choice would be Lohengrin, as the title role is sung by Ben Heppner, the greatest Wagnerian tenor in the world today. However, if you are not a Wagner fan, it could be a very long ordeal.

Makropoulos is a 20th C opera by Janacek, and the plot is fairly convoluted--so you would want to know what is going on. You may not come out humming the tunes!

I don't think that either opera will have much of "a Parisian touch".

You might be better off spending your time and money at the Moulin Rouge or Lido.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM

I believe for the most part, the Opera Bastille is "opera" and Opera Garnier is ballet.
I would NEVER equate the Lido/Moulin Rouge with "opera".
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM

If you've never been to an opera, I would say Wagner's "Lohengrin" may be a bit much. I love Wagner and his operas, but you may want to try and find something more along the lines of Puccini or Mozart if you can. I don't know the other opera at all. If it's Janacek (whom I love), it also may be a bit more on the modern side.

Good luck......wish I could go see an opera!

T.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM

I agree with the others. I will say this much: Productions at the Opera Bastille are usually first class. However, a first class production can be a first class bore if you are not in tune with the opera being performed.

I am an opera goer. No doubt about it.
BUT Wagner and Lohengrin for someone who is not an opera afficianado might be a bit too much too soon.

If you decide you want to go "for the experience", let me encourage you to prepare by reading a description of the plot. There was a bood, which many libraries surely have, by Milton Cross: The Complete Stories of the Great Operas. I have had mine since I was a teenager and the cover is falling off and the pages are covered with my notes from years ago.

Unless you know the plot well, and have some idea of the Wagner style, I fear your experience might turn to mud.

On the other hand, a performance at the Opera Bastille has the potential to be memorable. We went a few years ago for a performance of Turandot. The cast included: Franco Farina, Jane Eaglen and Patricia Racette, 3 of the best voices in opera today.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM

Instead of going to the opera consider attending a concert at any of the spectacular churches in Paris. The concerts at Saint Chappel are especially magical, listening to the beautiful chamber music surrounded by the stunning stain glass windows.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM

SeymourBaby, how does one learn about the concert schedule in churches in Paris? Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:13 AM

For 6 churches, look at
www.ampconcerts.com for the schedule.
I just heard a Vivaldi concert @ St. Chappelle for 25E. If you get there
at 1/2 hr. in advance you may buy (in
Euros) a walk-up ticket.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM

Skip these operas which are anything but French. Even the setting, the Bastille, is a contemporary hall much like the ones that can be found wherever you are from (assuming you're not from Mali). I see no point in your going unless it's something you can get excited about.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM

What Cimbrone says bears some truth and might be the reason for going to anything available at the Opera Garnier which would be worthwhile just for the setting/hall.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Dear all,
Thanks for nice suggestions and support.
Sorry, if some of you felt uneasiness by reading the 'popular' cancan shows in the same line with the opera performances at Bastille in my posting. That is ridiculous even for a novice like me.
Laverendrye, you are right about first time goer, but of course, not a casual goer. Thanks to you and Bob for throwing some light.

Bob, I might not be able to lay hands on the book by Milton Cross you mentioned.
Question is how one can get aquainted with such an opera in the first place?

I am not yet convinced about staying away from the romantic Lohengrin by Wagner. I have read something about the storyline. Unless you experience one Opera, one Ballad, etc; how are you to know about those great gifts presented to mankind by the great minds?

Thanks SeymourBaby & Rhea58. I will try to visit St. Chapple concert.
K.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Kamleshrut: If you think that you'd like to take in the performance of Lohengrin, but aren't sure about it, a good place to start would be with the CD "Ben Heppner Sings Lohengrin" which contains excerpts from the full recording. This should be enough to either whet your appetite, or find another opera to start with.

You should also try to get a good synopsis of the plot. If you can't find the Milton Cross book (assuming it's still in print) there are certainly lots of synopses and other information on the net.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:18 AM

I don't think not understanding the language of an opera is a deterrent to seeing it at all.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM

I think it's just people are having trouble understanding our goal, as am I. If the goal is something really French or Parisian, don't go to a very expensive opera if you don't even know if you like opera, when the opera isn't even French. that's my view.

I am not in the same camp as people who go to performances mainly because of the building, I go for the performance, and the ones at the Bastille have been very good. I think it is a very good space. However, if you were mainly going for the building, you should go to the Garnier, I do agree with that.

If you just want to do something in Paris in the evening, and in a more historic building, I also agree just go to a cheap church concert rather than an expensive German opera. There are many all over Paris, you can find out about them by seeing flyers around in Paris (in the central area at some main churches, anyway), or just be looking in a weekly entertainment guide which lists them all (e.g., Pariscope).

That's what I would recommend to you, but if you are know thinking you want to explore opera, in general, then sure, the Paris Opera company is very good and it will be a topnotch production in comparison to many, so I think it would be great. But opera is very expensive, as I guess you know from the tickets.

It's not true at all that they only do ballet at the Garnier.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:42 AM

If "show" is what you are looking for then indeed you may be better off at the Lido et al.

I am a regular Opera goer and would suggest that Wagner may be a bit heavy for the uninitiated.

What about something at the

http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr

Wonderful location.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM

I would also go for a concert in a church which I've done numerous times. Happy Travels!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM

You might also try the Opéra Comique on the Blvd des Italiens, which specializes in operetta and musicals. While you are in Paris, they will be playing "Looking for Josephine" a musical about the famous Afro-American singer Josephine Baker. Here's a review:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...ures/baker.php

Check out the Opéra Comique website at:

http://www.opera-comique.com/spectacles.

I think that this would certainly be more fun than Lohengrin (not that Wagner can ever be considered fun) or even the Moulin Rouge and Lido.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM

If you cannot find Milton Cross' classic, try a search engine such as Google.
Here is one link to a description of the plot that is from a well placed source:
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope...is.aspx?id=127

I will say this much: Lohengrin is good opera. Usually I avoid Wagner, but I can enjoy Lohengrin if well sung.

But, knowing the plot is essential.

Years and years ago, Leo Slezak, a very good tenor, was singing the lead role.
At one point in the opera Lohengrin is to be transported by a magic swan. Unfortunately the swan leaves without its passenger. Slezak adlibs the lines, in German, "What time does the next swan leave." Even a stoic German audience had a hard time keeping a straight face.

I suggest knowing the plot because otherwise all that Germanic yowling will make even less sense than what it usually does. (My apologies to those of you who dote on Wagner's operas. I don't and therefore I still find moments of mirth in many of them. Case in point: Siegfried finds Brünnhilde asleep on the rock. He removes her chest plate, and exclaims: Dies ist kein Mann. (This is not a man.) My reaction: Right you are Ziggy baby. You done found a grown woman. Given that Siegfried grew up in the woods and did not have many social contacts, I can see why he would be somewhat surprised. Most Brünnhildes look like they could outside linebacker for the Colts, but to belt out those high flying notes with ample gusto is not a task for a lyric soprano.)

One thing I might add: Opera is as much visual as it is musical. I enjoy productions more when I am fairly close to the stage. Even if the ticket is much more expensive, I usually dig in and pay the price to be fairly close.

When we attened a performance of Turandot at the Opera Bastille, we had the second most expensive seats. For us, the cost was worth it because we were fairly close to the stage and could see and hear everything.

Don't be too concerned about what you wear. I had a suit for the occasion, but the Frenchman next to me had on a formal black t-shirt. Compared to him, I was overdressed. I think the rule of thumb is to look slightly dressed up, but we saw all manner of garb. Just don't wear something that would get you arrested in New York at the Met.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Dear all,

The purpose of my post is to get suggestion for maximal gain for a tour of short period. We want to experience different culture of Europe intensely.

Thanks laverendrye for the help.
Ben Heppner Sings Lohengrin is not easily available as I gathered from cd universe site. I will be off to London soon, so not much time left for me, as well.
A LA RECHERCHE DE JOSEPHINE seems to be a fun performance. We might like the jazz and the lighter angle. I am not sure.

Bob, I went thro' the synopsis. It is really interesting. I was attracted more by 'The Ring of the Nibelungs'.

Now, my choices are
1. Lohengrin
2. A LA RECHERCHE DE JOSEPHINE

Other options on our dates:

http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr is showing 2 performances.

3. Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, John Nelson &
4. Orchestre Philharmonique de New York, Lorin Maazel.

Apart from that
5. 12 EASY WALTZES, a traditional dance [? tradition of which country]

Kindly guide further so that choosing becomes easier.

BTW, http://www.dallasopera.org is a good site for a beginner like me to understand about opera. There is bound to be heaps of literature available. But the quick fix can not give justice to a vast universe of these arts, I realize.

Thanks.
K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -