Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which one should we take taxi or train/walk combinationl?

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear travelers experts,
I need some advice, my SO and I will be arriving in Madrid on November 4th and I'm debating if we should take the taxi from the airport to the hotel or take a combination of Bus Express/walk.

This is my scenario; our flight will arrive on Friday November 4th at 6:30AM in Madrid. Our Hotel is the Hotel Europa which is located in Puerta del Sol. looking at the transportation cost the taxi from the airport to the hotel is 40 Euros, if we take the autobus express will pay 2 Euros per person and we have to get off in Atocha train station. From there, we can take a taxi to the hotel which is another 10 Euros or walk from Atocha to plaza del sol. I read that there is a 15-20 minutes’ walk.

Does anybody have taking the bus express? Should we stick to the taxi and pay the 40 Euros? How safe is to walk from Atocha to Plaza del Sol? FYI, we’ll be carrying two suitcases and our backpacks, we do speak Spanish. Spanish is my first language and my SO is kind of fluent in Spanish, so we won't have the language barrier issue.

What do you think we should do? This is our first trip to Madrid and I don't want to put ourselves in risk if is not necessary. I have read a lot of warnings about pickpockets in Madrid.
Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Actually, you can get on the Metro line 1 at the Atocha Renfe station and get off at the Sol stop. Quick and easier than dragging your luggage through cobblestone streets. It is also walkable, and quite safe, but I'd opt for the Metro.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM

It was our first trip to Madrid. We took the express bus and got off at La Plaza de Cibeles. Our hotel was close to Plaza del Sol and we just walked there. Safety was not a concern. We were rolling suitcases, carrying them might be harder.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Don't walk from Atocha - too long on those streets.

Are you flying into Terminal 4? If so, look into the Cercanias train to Recoletos and then cab from there.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Taxi from the airport to Puerta del Sol are less than 30€. Paid some 25 to close by Plaza Santa area a couple of months ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 05:54 AM

In fact, at 6:30AM the fare would be 23,50€ from Madrid Barajas to Puerta del Sol, included 5,50€ airport surplus. You are there in some 20 minutes, very convenient.
http://www.worldtaximeter.com/madrid...ha+Renfe+Spain

The calculator didn't get Calle del Carmen, 4 (Hotel Europa, so I put Calle de Alcalá, 3 as stop adress, 100 meters from Hotel Europa).

In my mind, essential to have breakfast at a local bar when in Spain, fabulous atmosphere and start of the day. Some 100 times more interesting than a standard hotel breakfast. Lots of great places around your hotel. My favourite breakfast place in Madrid is close by Valdemeso in Calle de Mesoneros Romanos, 4. I usually go for the ham and cheese sandwhich, fresh orange juice and a café con leche for 3,25€ (one of several breakfast offers). Here's one more that thinks the place is well worth visiting: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...so-Madrid.html
Photos/menus: http://11870.com/pro/valdemeso