Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which of these Hotels in San Gimignano Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:05 PM
debbie

After looking at Castellina, Radda in Chianti, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Cortona, Pienza and San G. as possible bases for our trip to Tuscany, I think we have settled on San G. It sounds like a great walking town at night, and very romantic, and that is what we are looking for. It also seems more charming than some of the other places, but hard to tell from the guidebooks.<BR><BR>We are still open to suggestions, so if my assumptions are wrong, please let me know. I am also open to hotel suggestions to check in the other towns listed.<BR><BR>We are looking at Antico Pozzo, Cisterna, and Leon Bianco for hotels. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has stayed. We'd really like a view from our room and a terrace at the hotel for a drink/dinner at night.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Susan

San Gimignano is overrun with tour bus tourists during the day. Not a problem at night, so if you don't intend to be in San G. during the day, no worries. Personally, I would opt for Pienza, it is one of my favorite towns in Tuscany.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Karen

Debbie, Have you checked availability for any of these hotels? they book up fast and that might make your decision.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Karen

We stayed in San Gimignano and really liked it. It was nice to be there after the tourists left for the day. There were nice restaurants, shops and galleries to explore. We also enjoy staying in a town so we can enjoy dinner and have wine and not worry about driving afterwards. We enjoyed the Antico Pozzo. We had a back room that was very quiet, but I don't think it had much of a view.The room was decorated nicely and the location of the hotel is great - it's in the center of the town. It's in a pedestrian area and we were able to drive up, unload our luggage then we parked in a nearby lot. I don't remember if the hotel has a terrace with drinks available, but there are many restaurants near by. The town was very pretty at dusk. I remember climbing the tower and looking over the whole countryside. While we also liked Pienza, it was smaller than San Gimignano and still was overrun by tourists. I think San G would be a more interesting place to stay. I would definitely stay at the Antico Pozzo again.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:09 PM
SanGLover

Try Hotel Bel Soggiorno - courtyard view room and great restaurant on site!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:39 PM
John

Debbie: We stayed at the Hotel La Cisterna in San G. in Fall 99 and loved it. We lucked into one of the tower rooms with views in two directions. Others in our walking tour group stayed across the square in the Leon Blanco and I believe it was fine, too. While SAn G. is popular, it was very quiet at night, a welcome change from our previous nights in Florence. If we ever get back to Tuscany, we plan to use San G. as our base, but I fear we shall have to book well in advance.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Tom

Does anyone know if La Cisterna is air conditioned? Thanks

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Patrick

Glad you've decided on San Gimignano and I think you'll be very happy with your choice. It's been a few years, but I know I had originally planned on staying at La Cisterna, but didn't. I think it was either because they were already booked months and months ahead, or they just wouldn't answer my emails. In any case we stayed at Leon Bianca and liked it. We were especially happy that we could drive right up into the Cisterna Square and park in their garage. Actually, they had a parker who juggled the cars, packing them in, and then getting them out for you when you wanted to leave. Our room didn't have much of a view, and I wouldn't think that most of their rooms would. The views from La Cisterna, across the street and looking out the other way has some great views, so if you can get a guarantee of a view room from them, I think it would be a great option. La Cisterna has tons of atmosphere, and we had a wonderful dinner there.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:20 PM
debbie

Does anyone know if Antico Pozzo has views? How does this hotel compare to Cisterna?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:37 PM
sandi

We stayed at Antico Pozzo in 2000. The room we had was beautiful. The furniture was lovely antiques and my son had a great twin-sized sleigh bed tucked in the corner of an "L" shaped room. The bathroom was modern and large. The windows opened out to the main street (San Matteo) below. Such an incredible view of the Tuscan hills if you look left out the window, the cobble stone streets below and the piazza with the tall tower to the right. The hotel was about $140.00 (US) for the 3 of us. We had dinner at La Stella ristorante on via S. Matteo,77 just doors down from our hotel. We had fabulous gnocchi (?) with a tomato cream sauce and the steak Florentine. The spinach with butter was delicious. For the 3 of us, including wine and service, was only about $50.00 (US). We did not eat at the hotel's restarant.