Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Relais Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico d' Oricia or Il Giglio in Montalcino - which one would you pick for a base in Tuscany?

Search

Relais Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico d' Oricia or Il Giglio in Montalcino - which one would you pick for a base in Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Yes, it's me again.
Based on previous advice from some of you, I know that both of these places are great. However, based on your experiences and what we are looking for could you tell me which town would be better? My Mom and I are taking our first trip to Italy and we want to based in the Southern part of Tuscany for three nights. We will have a car. We want a town that has several good restaurants, one or two places for gelato and overall nice ambiance in the evening. The type of town where you want to sit/walk around after dinner and soak up the sights. We enjoy wine, but enjoy food more. We currently have a reservation at the Palazzo del Capitano in the Sagitarius room (smaller double room - for 110 euros). The Il Giglio has a room with a view and a terrace for the same price (give or take a few euros, depending on whether or not we eat breakfast there). I have scoured every post I can find to answer this question, but I just can't find the answer. Since I haven't been to these towns and many of you have, I was hoping that you could tell me which town might be the "best" fit for us, Montalcino or San Quirico? If both towns are equal, does one room sound like a better value than the other to you?

We also plan to spend one night in San Gimignano at La Cisterna. We want to visit some of the sights near there before driving to Florence.

Thanks in advance for your help
Carol
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM

Location wise, they are only 15 mins apart, so both have the same access to everything else in Tuscany. Perhaps San Quirico is easier to drive in/out of. San Quirico has 3 nice trattorias and last time I was there, a Gelateria and a Pizza restaurant. The Bar Centrale in San Q is where everyone hangs out morning & evenings. There are probably more restaurants in Montalcino - mostly trattorias also.

Parts of Montalcino are quite steep, San Quirico is flat. Montalcino is a little more touristy than San Q. Both have wine stores (probably more in Montalcino) and cheese stores.

The hotel in San Quirico has a nice garden where you can stretch out on a lawn chair & rest for a while. We stayed at the hotel in Montalcino a long time ago, and I don't remember a law area or anyplace outside where you can take a snooze.

There are two excellent and expensive restaurants about 15-20 mins from Montalcino, and they are 30-40 mins from San Q.

There are many restaurants in Pienza, Montepulciano, Monticchiello, and Montefollonico that will take 15 mins lomger to get to from Montalcino than from San Q.

You can set out on hikes in the Val d'Orcia from San Q, but not from Montalcino unless you drive there.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM

I have stayed in both. Capitano is easily the better hotel and I concur with Stu's comments about the town. However, Montalcino is a larger more diverse town with more to see. I am not sure it matters--both are great.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM

CVerga

I have stayed at Palazzo several times and was in the Sagitarius room last October...just some thoughts...there is no elevator and the room is not very large..it overlooks the garden, but from a small window...no terrace....there are larger rooms available, but ask their location because some of them require two flights of stairs and we have stayed in one where the bathroom was also up a short flight of stairs..

We have visited both towns often and while I love SanQ, for a first time visit, I think Montalcino is more atmospheric and has more to do....more restaurants for sure...
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:58 AM

CVerga,

I had another thought to share..the area of Tuscany you will be visiting is really breathtaking..I have not stayed at Giglio, but you might want to give consideration to the "room with a view"...Palazzo has a very pretty garden, but no access to see the hills from the hotel windows and once you see them, you will want to sit and stare at them for hours and hours..