Reload this Page >

Which London play was your favorite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 08:27 PM
amy

In April, my mom and I have a few days in London. We plan to get half-price tickets, if possible, and would love some help deciding which play/theater to go to and the easiest way to get tickets. (Leicester?) Our plan right now is to see Les Miserables but we could easily be persuaded to see something else. All opinions welcome and appreciated!!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:52 AM
Kate

Les Mis is wonderful! It was so beautiful it made me cry. I polled the "locals" myself, and they all recommended Les Mis to me (even over 'Phantom') ... hope that helps ... <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Catherine

One of the best experiences of being in London is the theatre.We didn't go to see phantom or Les mis because I don't like musicals except for the sound of music and the Wizard of Oz. <BR>The magazine Time Out and the local newspapers have all the theatre listings with the review of the plays. <BR>We went to a matinee, to see a play called Arcadia.It was wonderful.We didn't buy advance tickets.We bought them at the box office an hour before the play began.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Mavis

Hi Amy, <BR> <BR>It's so tacky it's charming - and if you like Agatha Christie/mysteries - you'll love The Mousetrap. Has been playing for I think 30? years. We also enjoyed Miss Saigon, although musical we have seen it twice in London now. Have fun. <BR>Mavis <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:36 AM
Mavis

Hi Amy, <BR> <BR>It's so tacky it's charming - and if you like Agatha Christie/mysteries - you'll love The Mousetrap. Has been playing for I think 30? years. We also enjoyed Miss Saigon, although musical we have seen it twice in London now. We always go to theatre in morning and pick up tickets - we've tried the half price booth but have found that we end up spending the same amount, although are far closer. And many times that isn't better. We saw And Then There Were None once when we were so close the actors were spitting on us. Have fun. <BR>Mavis <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:37 AM
Mavis

Hi Amy, <BR> <BR>It's so tacky it's charming - and if you like Agatha Christie/mysteries - you'll love The Mousetrap. Has been playing for I think 30? years. We also enjoyed Miss Saigon, although musical we have seen it twice in London now. We always go to theatre in morning and pick up tickets - we've tried the half price booth but have found that we end up spending the same amount, although were far closer. Many times that isn't better. We saw And Then There Were None once when we were so close the actors were spitting on us. Have fun. <BR>Mavis <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Mavis

Hi Amy, <BR> <BR>It's so tacky it's charming - particularly if you like Agatha Christie/mysteries - you'll love The Mousetrap. Has been playing for I think 30? years. We also enjoyed Miss Saigon, although a musical we have seen it twice in London now. We always go to theatre in morning and pick up tickets, have always had good luck - we've tried the half price booth but have found that we end up spending the same amount, although get seats that are closer. Many times that isn't better. We saw And Then There Were None and we were so close the actors were spitting on us. Wouldn't recommend Cats - think most over-rated play I've ever seen. Have fun. <BR>Mavis <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 11:03 AM
Lydia

Amy, I beg to differ from Mavis - CATS was a very special experience for me. But, do yourself the favour and save some more money for a good seat - otherwise you spoil those precious memories!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:55 PM
amy

Thank you for your responses! In a week, we will be at one of these theaters enjoying a great show. <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:28 PM
Joanne

For musicals, Les Mis, first choice, then Phantom, then Cats. I didn't like Miss Saigon, at all.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 02:14 AM
Karie

Les Mis, Les Mis, Les Mis! I saw this play in London five years ago and I was praying I would make it through "Let Him Live" without literally collapsing into audible sobs. The most powerful experience. An amazing play and so well done there. Get good seats, if at all possible. The theatre is small, and having a good seat makes all the diffrence! What a play!

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 03:04 AM
Mike Miller

Amy, we saw Les Mis and loved it. Why not see two. We saw three last time. Martin Guerre was written by the same folks who wrote Les Mis and was very good. I also read that Oklahoma is getting rave reviews.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 08:57 AM
ben

I have not seen Les Mis, but Phantom was AWESOME. I saw it a few weeks ago with my friend, a Phantom fanatic (this was the 6th time he has seen the show and the first at Her Majesty's Theatre). It was one of the best things we saw/did on the trip, but, then again, we had excellent seats. It's really something.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 10:58 AM
Caryn

I'm in London right now and The Mousetrap is in its 47th year.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 01:50 PM
Natasha

FYI folks, here's the website for The London Theatre Guide and it'll tell you what's playing where, as well as providing some reviews. <BR> <BR>http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 08:31 PM
judy

I've seen a couple of musicals (I love them) in London and many on Broadway. Although I haven't seen Les Miz in London, I've seen it four times and get more emotionally involved with it each time. I'm sure it would be my choice. Have a ball! <BR>

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 05:41 AM
amy

Natasha's web site suggestion above for <BR>london theater is terrific. Now we can plan ahead for the show and hotel proximity we're looking for. Thanks, Natasha and all of you for your recommendations!

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 06:05 PM
Tim

By all means see "The Phantom". I've seen it in the States with Mr. Crawford and it was outstading. But there's something about seeing it in Europe. It's magic. Also "Evita". I saw it over 20 years ago while stationed in the U.K. It was also outstanding.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 11:04 PM
Carolyn

Amy, it's got to be Les Miserables! Phantom is also wonderful. We've seen Les Mis 4 times in the States, but London is something even more special. The London theaters are marvelous- nothing like the ones here. I don't know if you can get half-price tickets for th better shows. Good luck. We splurge and buy the best seats available- the stalls. It's expensive, but it's worth it. We'd rather do that than spend the money on an expensive restaurant. I have ordered our tickets well in advance of our trip both times. Then, we know what we have and won't be disappointed. Enjoy! <BR>