Rothenburg to Munich

Apr 7th, 1999, 12:32 PM
nickie

Rothenburg to Munich

Can anyone advise the best driving route from Rothenburg to Munich, and about how long it takes to drive? Thanks!

Apr 7th, 1999, 12:42 PM
John

Nickie, it's about 125 miles .... 2 hrs + change.

Take A7 south to Ulm (45 miles); make a left turn onto A8 heading East and Munich is about 80 miles down the road.

Apr 7th, 1999, 01:19 PM
wes fowler

Nickie,
"Best route" is always a subjective term. What is "best", fastest or most scenic? John's quite correct in offering you the fastest route; however there's a highly scenic alternative that won't add excessive time to the drive. Consider taking Route 25 which runs through Rothenburg south through Feuchtwangen, Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, Donauworth to Augsburg, then picking up route A8/E52 east to Munich. All but the final 28 miles on A8 is on a lovely, scenic ride.

Apr 7th, 1999, 01:26 PM
Lee

Nickie: John is right and it's an easy drive. If you are going into the city, it may be a good idea to get a map of Munich because I found it's not all that easy to navigate.

Depending on traffic, it's more like 1 hour, 15 minutes, tops. In Germany, "I can't drive 55". The limitations being: 1) The automobile. 2)Traffic/conditions. 3)You.

Have fun!

Apr 7th, 1999, 01:28 PM
Richard

I agree with Wes, if time allows, take the Romantic Road, get off the autobahn.

Apr 7th, 1999, 09:31 PM
nickie

Thank you all once again for your great information. I realize "best" is subjective, but I don't know yet whether I will need the fastest or the most scenic route, so it is wonderful to know both options.I'm trying to fit an awful lot of sight seeing into fifteen days, and I haven't been to Germany in twenty-five years! As excited as I am about going back, my traveling partner is even more excited because he hasn't ever been- and thus we'll be hitting a lot of "touristy" type spots.

Apr 8th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Lee

Nickie: I'd go with Wes in that case. Take the "slow road" and don't miss any of those little spots in between the two. Follow that route that Wes specified and your partner will be in awe of the scenery.

We are taking my wife's parents and her brother along a similar route in May and they are quite excited about it, also.

Have a fun trip!