Which Island???

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Island???

Hi, we are planning a trip to the Greek Islands (flying into Athens) for about 10 days in the second half of July. We have NO idea which islands to go to!!!!

We are looking for something less touristy - priorities are 1- price (rock bottom budget); 2- beaches; 3- great food. Not into the nightclub scene so we're been told to steer clear of Mykonos.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM

In July almost anywhere will be busy but why not try some of the delights of mainland Greece. For somewhere less touristy why not try the Pelion, a peninsula to the north-east of Athens. There are some beautiful beaches, pretty mountain villages and you will find mainly Greek tourists. You could drive there from Athens and also do a detour to take in the amazing Meteora, which we visited from this area. Also the southern Peloponnese has some lovely, quieter resorts where I'm sure you could find reasonably prices accommodation.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Greece is such a popular summer destination that no matter where you go it will be crowded, and prices will be at their highest in July. The cheapest rooms will be in the various hostels. Prices will vary from 10-20 Euro/night for a shared room.

Anafi is one of the least travelled islands. You can reach it from Santorini but the ferries don't run every day. Room prices will be cheaper there but your choices will be limited (for restaurants as well). Another possibility would be Folegandros, which can be reached from Athens or Santorini or several other islands.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Anafi could be nice from what I hear. I don't know much about Folegandros, but I know brotherleelove generally gives solid advice here (and elsewhere). A friend swears by Milos.

While everybody's version of rock bottom varies, an island with a lot of options might not be bad either. While not completely rock bottom, there are good deals to find on Paros and Naxos -- although even they tighten up considerably in July/August.

If you're not locked into July, many islands start the middle season on Sept. 1. It's a great time to get more for your money. You can usually find a nice place from the hawkers who greet the ferries -- and you can be choosey. It's a great time to go. Then, Naxos might be a great choice for its variety and great beaches. It's also a great pick for first time visitors because it's a sampler of the best of the islands.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Have you ever been to Santorini? If not, please do go even for 2 days, and don't worry about being 'touristy' because you won't mind!! I could suggest you Sifnos island too. It's lovely!
I like Paros a lot too and there you can find everything. From expensive hotels to cheap rooms. From crowded beached to less touristy ones.

Also have in mind that Cyclades are not green islands. If you want vegetation think about Sporades (Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonisos) or Ionian Islands (western part of Greece).

Feel free to ask anything you want.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I too am planning a trip to Athens and some islands. Am considering Santorini because of all the reviews I've read. I have never been to Greece and have no idea what to expect. My husband and I (in our 40's) are going on February 15 to 24). Any ideas for us? First couple of days is a business trip in Athens--after that..it's exploring and shopping time!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, February is not a very good month to be visiting the islands. Almost everything will be closed except at the most populated destinations like Heraklion on Crete, Mykonos Town, Rhodes Town, Kos Town, Naxos Town, Livadia on Paros and Fira on Santorini. It will be cold and cloudy and perhaps windy. If it's too windy the ferries don't go, so you'd better choose an island you can fly to or stay flexible and wait to see what the weather will be like when you're there. Even at the locations I've mentioned many hotels, restaurants and most of the shops will be closed for the season so your activities will be limited. Rhodes, Crete and Mykonos will be the most active. That being said, I still recommend that you go to Santorini. It's truly unique and beautiful. Even if it's quiet it will be worth your time for a few days, and you can easily get to Mykonos by ferry as long as the weather permits. Oia is the most beautiful and traditional village on Santorini.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Vicki2201, Santorini will be beautiful, as it always is, in Feb., but I think it will be pretty much deserted. We were on Mykonos in the middle of a Very Windy time in May, and Mykonos Town was like a ghost town. The Mediterranean is not at all like the Caribbean, in terms of temperature.