Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is easier. Malpensa shuttle bus to Centrale or ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

,,,book train (to Venice) out of Malpensa, changing trains at Centrale??

We are leaving in a few minutes, but I can check along the way. Flying to Milan Malpensa, then need to get to Venice S.L.

I know that I can go ahead and book the train out of the airport, (we don't have tickets) and then change trains at Centrale to board our train to Venice.

OR

Take the Malpensa shuttle from the airport to central. Buy our ticket direct to Venice at Centrale.

They both work, but which, after a long flight with two kids, is EASIER.

many thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 05:08 AM

lines may be way shorter to buy tickets at the airport train station and they will IME more dependably speak better English at the airport train station - but do leave plenty of time to change trains in Centrale - a humongous station with zillions of tracks, etc. You can still take the bus but may want to book the train at the airport - one person could do it while the other is waiting for bags to exit customs.

For lots of good info on Italian trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetrvel.com and www.ricksteves.com. There are several different type trains - regional, IC and faster trains all costing different prices - there is actually a direct regional train from Malpensa to Venice one Italian rail expert said last week - would take a lot longer but would be dirt cheap and no change of train - but may not leave when you want.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Palen, thanks. I am checking that out, obviously it is not called Milano Malpensa as the train station?? there are several choices, Milano Centrale
Milano Porta Garibaldi
Milano Rogoredo

Not sure which one, am checking but wanted to run this by you. and yes, those sites are great!
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

ok, searched Malpensa instead, that worked. didn't find anything without a train change in Milano Centrale. I am just a bit worried that we may miss the central connection. unless you are seeing something i am not. that would be nice tho, to just get on one train and be done. still looking
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM

well I use www.bahn.de/en - the German Railways pan-European train schedule site as it is the easiest and usually accurate IME - I cannot find any direct airport to Venice trains either - but since they are regional trains (as per post by always correct Italian rail expert here IME) or any direct trains - so get to Milano Centrale by bus or train and then you have at least hourly fast trains to Venice - still buying your ticket at the airport if you have time to avoid a potentially long line at Milano Centrale (though automatic ticketing machines are IME easy to work in Italian stations).

So I guess forget about any direct regional train anyway as it would take hours longer and after an all night flight... and you could see what your airline would charge for a Malpensa to Venice connecting flight as well.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM

If you arrive at Terminal 2 (easyjet, etc.), take the bus (journey time about 55 min).
Trains leave from Terminal 1 and you would looose too much time by taking first the shuttle from T2 to T1 and then the train.

If you arrive at T1, all depends on your arrival time. The train station is more than 10 min on foot from the baggage claim.
Trains every hr, buses (journey time 1 hr) about every 20 min.

Standard train fare from MXP up to Venice 48 EUR. Direct trains to Milano Centrale start at 17.43, 18.43 and 19.43. Journey time to Milano Centrale 52 min. Layover at Milano Centrale 30 min. Train departures from Milano Centrale to Venezia Santa Lucia (historic center) at 19.05, 20.05 and 21.05. Journey time 2h 35 min
Fare from Milano Centrale 38 EUR.
Trains from Milano Centrale to Venezia Mestre at 19.35 (journey time 2 hrs 10 min, connecting trains to Santa Lucia, buses to Piazza Roma in the historic center) and 21.35 (journey time 3 hrs 15 min, night bus (about every 30 min) or taxis from Mestre to Piazza Roma).
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:54 AM

I suggest you first go to the Milano Centrale station and buy your Venice tickets there - by then you’ll know exactly which train you’ll want to take, whether the immediately next one or one a bit later (they run frequently), in case you’ll all feel like a leg stretch and a meal/snack before boarding another train - you’ll have been sitting for long enough...

At Milano Centrale there is luggage storage, and in and near the big station are lots of opportunities to walk and snack and catch some fresh air.

At the airport the Train Station is located in Terminal 1 on level -1

Malpensa Airport - Milano Centrale:
11 daily services with stops at Garibaldi - Bovisa - Saronno - Busto Arsizio.
10 daily services with stops at Garibaldi - Bovisa - Saronno - Rescaldina - Castellanza - Busto Arsizio - Ferno
5 daily services with stops at Garibaldi - Bovisa

NOTE: Before boarding the train for Milano Centrale you need to validate the tickets by sticking them into a yellow box you’ll see near the platform access - it timestamps (so you couldn’t use them again).

A free shuttle bus connecting Terminal 1 with Terminal 2 of Malpensa is available every 20 minutes 24 hours a day.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:55 AM

All Sunday train departures from MXP T1 (Malpensa aeroporto) to Venezia Santa Lucia (journey time 4 hrs, change at Milano Centrale):
5.43 6.43 7.43 9.19 10.19 10.43 11.19 11.43 12.43 13.43 14.43 15.19 16.19 16.43 17.43 18.43 19.43
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 05:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Trains every hr, buses (journey time 1 hr) about every 20 min.<<<<

Depends on time of day. At some times there are two trains per hour.

Tickets for Malpensa Express can normally be purchased on the Malpensa Express website (they haven't updated/added the 2014 yet), Trenord website (they operate the Lombardy trains) or Trenitalia. Trenord lets you buy months in advance, but they are having any issue with the 2014 selection. You can make it work, but you can't do it by clicking the calendar. You have to change the 3 to a 4 in the box by backspacing. I'm sure Malpensa Express and Trenord will get the bugs out soon.

http://www.trenord.it/EN/

http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/