Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is better for family with teens: the amalfi coast or Greek islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Europe next summer with our two teenage daughters: aged 14 and 18. We are interested in seeing the sights, enjoying beach/pool/relaxation time, shopping and great food. We have narrowed it down to two possibilities:

Option 1: The Amalfi Coast: 4 days in Sorrento, 5 days in Positano or Amalfi (??), 3 days in Rome; or
Option 2: Greece: 5 days in Crete or Mykonos(??), 5 days in Santorini; 2 days in Athens.

I was just wondering if anyone could give us any input that might help us make our decision. I'm also wondering if one place is more economical than the other with regard to food. I've looked at hotels, B&B's etc. and I don't think there's a huge difference there. Could anyone recommend a hotel they have stayed at with teens? We are hoping to find hotels for 350 euros per night or less.

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM

I would do Italy in that time---the travel logistics in the Greek Isles is too much hassle. However, I would pick one location on the AC and rent an apt.---with a pool. Look at www.summerinitaly.com and go crazy. Spend 7 days on the coast and 5 nites in Rome--perfect trip.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I would also choose Italy for the same reason as bobthenavigator, travel between each destination is easier in Italy (in my opinion). From Sorrento take a day trip to see Pompeii and Vesuvius. I would stay in Positano and do a day trip to Amalfi. I've heard good things about http://www.venere.com/ for booking hotels. good luck and enjoy your trip, wherever you choose
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Agree you need a place with a pool - most of the Amalfi beaches are not much (pebbles rather than sand, and flat boring water - many of them in the middle of town and with fishing boats all over them).