Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Ghent?

Search

Which hotel in Ghent?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Which hotel in Ghent?

I have narrowed down our hotel choices for our May trip to Ghent to Hotel Erasmus and Hotel Gravensteen. Anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions ($75-$150)? <BR> <BR>We've also considered staying closer to the train station, as we plan on day trips to Brugge and the coast and maybe Brussels. Is the convenience of staying close to the station worth it (worth being away from the center and in a possibly seedier area)? Or is it easy to reach the station from the center? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Rex

Perhaps you already heard this from me already in a previous thread - - but I LOVED the Erasmus. Ask for the room right up under the rafters (unless you can't climb four flights of stairs). <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:25 PM
KT

I always stay within walking distance of the station in Ghent, but that's only because I stay with friends who live there. Their neighborhood isn't seedy, but neither is it particularly interesting. If I were you I'd stay in the historic center. It's not really that far from the station, and bus & tram service is frequent. Sorry, can't help you with hotels, but I can help you with chocolate: Daskalides.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Rex and KT, thanks for the info. Looks like we'll definitely stay in the center and most likely at the Erasmus. <BR> <BR>Rex, I did a search (like a good boy - before I posted) and only found a quick mention of the Erasmus by you. Is there a more detailed review that I'm missing? Thanks again for your help.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:16 PM
Ellen

I never stayed in Ghent but when I was there in 1992 ate a fabulous meal at Restaurant Belvedere. They may no longer be open, but after all this time I still remember it fondly! <BR> <BR>Ellen <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Meg

Hey, Brian. How are you? How was your trip to N.O.? <BR> <BR>I was in Ghent last October. We stayed at St. Jorishof - Cour St. Georges which is the oldest hotel in Europe. It was interesting and right in the center of things. Our room was in the "modern annex", but if we ever went back, I'd request a room in the old part across the street. We took a taxi (and it was hard to find one - the "taxi stand" was empty) to the hotel from the train station when we arrived, but realized on departure that basically every other tram goes to the station. There are tram stops right near the Three Towers - smack in the center of things. For the ride on the tram, we paid 40 BEF each compared with 270 BEF for the taxi the afternoon before. The tram ride to the station from the center took less than 10 minutes. <BR> <BR>Even though we didn't stay there, I've heard good things about the Gravensteen, but I'm not sure about the location. Check with Wes Fowler - he knows a lot about Brugges and Ghent. If you haven't already, run a search on the forum - there's tons o' info on it. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 08:00 AM
anne

take the hotel gravensteen for its location in the old heart of ghent <BR>go to see the SMAK new museum of contempary art; go to the cathedral for the van eyck retabel; enjoy the food <BR>but do not go in the touristis restaurants; try the artisjok or the small restaurant in "patershol" nearby the hotel; look for the local beers etc <BR>if you have the chance try to get a ticket for the flemish opera <BR> <BR>to go to bruges take the tramway 10 min to the station - 20 min walking <BR>do not stay in the hotels in the station area <BR>have a a nice trip

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 04:55 AM
Ellen

This is not a hotel recommendation but I couldn't resist sending you a restaurant recommendation. Many years ago, I ate at a place in Ghent called "Restaurant Belvedere". It may not even be there any more but it was truly one of the best meals I've had. <BR>Ellen