Which Greek Islands??

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Greek Islands??

I would love some information and thoughts on the Island Rhodes. I've been told to go to Mykonos and Santorini. I was looking at all of them and Rhodes seemed interesting. We would like to see some culture and history and great beaches. I'm not sure where they have the beautiful bright white villas on the water but that looks lovely as well. Thanks!!

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM

You'll find the most scenic white-washed houses with bright blue doors and windows on Santorini. If you want to see some historic sites, at Mykonos, plan to take the boat to Delos. Other than that, Mykonos is a pretty, party and beach town. Rhodes is full of history, more recent than the classical ruins of Delos. Another consideration is Crete with wonderful beaches and fabulous Minoan sites. You don't say how long you will be there, but I always recommend that people first visit the Peloponnese if they are interested in history, and then choose one or two islands (If you have a couple of weeks total). Try Matt Barrett's site, www.greektravel.com to start survying the territory.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM

I was in Rodos this past July. What do you want to know?

The best hotel on Rodos is the Rodos Park Hotel, just a short walk from the walled city.

You can walk to the BEAUTIFUL beach out near the Rodos Aquarium.

Thingorjus
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM

The beautiful whitewashed houses with blue shutters and red flowering vines against the sky are Cycladic -- people whose image of greece is mainly from posters think it's only Santorini and Mykonos where you see these.

Yes, those 2, but also Paros, Sifnos, Serifos, Kythnos, Naxos, Paros, Syros, Antiparos, Folegandros, Amorgos, Milos, Astipelea, TInos and Andros.

Rhodes is splendid too... it's just way the other side of the Aegean. Here is a GOOD Map to help you see which islands are grouped together:
http://www.travelswise.com/Map/Greece-Map-large.jpg

A good book to help u figure out how the ferries run and thus how you can plan a trip without backtracking is T. Cooks GREEK ISLAND HOPPING -- browse thru it at Barnes & Noble...or your local library. IT's a good help for putting together island-hopping that works within yr time limits.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. We're looking for great beaches combined with some interesting history. We would fly into Athens, probably spend 1-2 days then go to two islands. We will only have about 10 days so I think that's the most we can do during that time. A friend had gone to Paros and Santorini and loved both although for her tastes she thought Paros bit quite and said she would've preferred Mykonos from what she had read. Santorini I would very much like to see, from what I've read Sifnos also looks great. They all actually look wonderful, it's just a matter of which two are the ones to try to do for this trip. Thanks again!!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM

I think Rhodes would be perfect for you. Lindos is wonderful - with white houses, a historical site and lovely little streets to wander about. There are also good beaches nearby. I once spent 2 weeks on Rhodes - 1 week in Lindos and 1 in Rhodes Town. Rhodes Town is a beautiful place with lots to see as well. We hired a car and explored the whole island. We found some really nice villages, great beaches, a couple of historical sites and much more. There is a fantastic beach on the west coast but I can't remember what it's called (begins with a "T" sound.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I agree Rhodes is beautiful and would agree on Lindos rather than Rhodes Town although Rhodes Town is also beautiful (but very commercial). My preference would be for Crete especially the West side ie Chania; in my opinion Crete has the better beaches of the two. I was stunned by Santorini for its tumbling houses but the beaches arent as good as Crete or Rhodes due to their volcanic nature. You wont be disappointed with either Rhodes or Crete.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW! AS IF! Lindos is so boring. I WOULD NEVER STAY THERE unless I was a pensioner who just wanted to sit and read Agatha Christie mysteries all day.

There is more to do in Rhodes Town, like explore the walled city, visit the archeology museum, see the Castle of the Grand Knights, GO SHOPPING AT ILIAS LALAOUNIS for jewellery!

What is wrong with a place being commericial? Some of us like JEWELLERY STORES.

I am like a magpie; I just love glittery things. I would put glitter in my hair if I could get away with it.

Thingorjus
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Bling-bling.
G.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM

My wife and I are also planning to visit Rhodes in September (along with Athens and Santorini.) From the photos I've seen, it reminds me of Dubrovnik - also an incredibly beautiful and historic place, surrounded by medieval walls. Has anyone been to the Ancient Ruins of Kamiros? Is there a lot to see there? We were thinking of taking a day-trip to Lindos as well. Has anyone done any snorkeling or diving in Rhodes?
Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM

We've been to Rhodes the past two summers, and I agree with Proenza that Lindos is quite boring. We spent part of a day there, and were very happy to leave after ( I have to admit) a fabulous seafood lunch at one of the few restaurants on the bay. Now if you had kids along, and they needed a nap in the afternoon, Lindos might be the perfect spot. Other than that, Rhodes Town is much more appealing , and it actually stays alive after dark.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM

For Larz-

I'm pretty sure that you can do some snorkeling in the Faliraki area, but don't stay there. It's the Las Vegas of Rhodes, and full of young Brits ( no offense intended) on package tours.