Which fictional big name?

Oct 31st, 2000, 10:59 AM
pam

Which fictional big name?

OK, there's that other thread about famous seatmates for a long flight. WHich fictional character would you choose as your seatmate for a transatlantic flight? I'm sure there are others but one that comes to mind is President Josiah Bartlett from The West Wing. Smart, witty, and nice to look at....

Oct 31st, 2000, 11:04 AM
kk

I'd go with my first love--Mr. Edward Rochester from Jane Eyre.

Oct 31st, 2000, 12:02 PM
Dave

Superman, or any gravity-defying superhero. Just in case.

Oct 31st, 2000, 12:22 PM
Annette

My choice would be Agnes Browne, Irish writer Brendan O'Carroll's ficitional Dublin mother in his books The Mammy and The Chisellers. I understand these first two books are part of a trilogy which he will soon finish. The Mammy was made into a movie starring Anjelica Huston called Agnes Browne. I don't think it has the impact of the book, but still it's good.

Agnes is absolutely hand down hiliarious. She loves Tom Jones, like me. I'm still a little peeved at my friends who wouldn't go with me to see him last year when we were in Vegas. If only Agnes were there!

Oct 31st, 2000, 12:33 PM
Anita

Saint-Germain from Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's series of books. He's a few thousand years old and would be fascinating to talk to, but I think I'd need a much longer flight.

Oct 31st, 2000, 12:55 PM
Maira

Captain Corelli from 'Corelli's Mandolin'.

Just read the book....

Oct 31st, 2000, 12:55 PM
lisa

This is a very tough choice. My thoughts first went to Mr. Darcy, but then I thought maybe Laurie from Little Women (so I could explain why Amy is all wrong for him).

Oct 31st, 2000, 01:53 PM
Diane

George Smiley (John LeCarre)

Oct 31st, 2000, 02:06 PM
Linda

Hawkeye Pierce from M*A*S*H

Oct 31st, 2000, 02:45 PM
Thyra

Rhett Butler, of course, especially if we were in first class and he was paying!

Oct 31st, 2000, 02:53 PM
Tony Hughes

Either Daisy Duke circa 1979 or Jane Fonda in her Barbarella guise or possibly actress Jami Gertz as Star from The Lost Boys (yes i know all real people but still playing fictional characters)

Oct 31st, 2000, 02:58 PM
Cindy

Hans Solo. That way, I get to sit next to Harrison Ford. Is that cheating?

Oct 31st, 2000, 03:03 PM
Tony Hughes

Cindy, thats fine as long as you can put up with Chewy pawing away at you during the flight!

Oct 31st, 2000, 05:21 PM
Claire

Jamie Fraser

Oct 31st, 2000, 05:25 PM
Carin

You're right, Lisa! Amy IS all wrong for Laurie - I never could stand her or figure out how they ended up together.

I think my favorite seatmate would be Cynthia Coppersmith Kavanaugh from Mitford.

Oct 31st, 2000, 06:27 PM
SharonM

Well...upon watching the movie I'm watching right now...ole' Vlad Dracula is a Definite possibility...

I'm still thinking of more though...

Oct 31st, 2000, 07:29 PM
SharonM

YIKES!!!
Scratch the Vlad Dracula idea!
I don't care HOW good-looking he was!

(happy halloween!)

Oct 31st, 2000, 07:55 PM
pam

Oooh, Hawkeye Pierce is a good choice. I might even have to go vote for Alan Alda on the non-fiction big name thread.

Oct 31st, 2000, 08:07 PM
xxx

Sheepishly, it seems that we men have dared not express the objects of our drooling here. Not sure why that is.

But I'll vote for Hana, the nurse that took care of Count László Almásy (the English Patient).

Oh and what a coincidence - - that role was played by Juliette Binoche, wasn't it? Okay, she can play it in the seat next to me too.

Oct 31st, 2000, 08:55 PM
elvira

Nicholai Hel...or Adam Dalgleish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO