Which Cycladic Islands for Family in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar to many others, we are having problems narrowing down the list of Greek islands to visit. We will likely only be able to do one island due to timing and travel issues. We would like do see both the classic cubist, whitewashed architecture as well as have access to good beaches. Nightlife is not priority. Suggestions for a family of 4 with a 16 and 20 year old.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM

In the Cyclades your best options are Naxos, Paros and Antiparos. If you choose Paros you can take a daytrip to Antiparos, and if you rent a scooter you can take it with you on the little ferry from Pounta.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM

We took our two teens close to your kids age to Naxos a few years ago and they still reminisce about that trip. Naxos has all you are looking for, a vibrant town wiht taverns shopping and some antiquities a narrow old market area and a waterfront area with small clubs. Naxos has very good beaches and mountain villages to explore. You do not say when you are going. If it is not high season I recommend St George beach area as it is a good beach within a 10 minute stroll into Naxos town. If ist is high season you might want to stay out on the west coast beaches. Not as much action but certainty beautiful and less crowded.
Having said that brotherlee also recommended Paros. Almost a nice in my thinking.
Here are Naxos pictures
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 04:46 AM

I second brotherleelove2004 re: Antiparos.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it), the Hollywood elite have started to make Antiparos their summer retreat:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6574597.ece

It's a stunning island with an authentic feel - architecturally and culturally. Being off the beaten track it hasn't been overrun with generic, touristy stuff. Almost everything is family owned and operated.

The beaches are great, too. And if the kids want to go out at night, the square is great fun.

It's a real gem. A well kept secret - although less so in the past 5 years.

If you need more info, feel free to get in touch. We have a summer home there, so we know our way around!

www.antiparosholidayvillas.com

Best of luck. And safe travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Oh Gonaldo, I'll be on Antiparos in June and am saddened to hear you say "the Hollywood elite have started to make Antiparos their summer retreat". Although, Heimdahl and brotherleelove must now be celebrities.) Am I always just behind the wave? I'm finally getting to Folegandros in July...but that's another thread I guess.

JohnKathy - You have good advice - either Paros or Naxos will be a delight. Check out pics and travel books to see what captures your fancy. My personal favorite is Paros, you'll find plenty to do and good bus service to get around. Advice: Be careful about putting your kids on a scooter. Naxos feels a little quietier to me..more pastoral. You didn't say how long you would be there - from Paros you can take day trips to Naxos, Antiparos, Delos, etc.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Don't worry too much, parosblue. Tom Hanks keeps a low profile when on Antiparos - I've yet to meet him. There was talk last summer of Madonna buying 28 acres on the island, so she will probably be building her own villa there. One of the reasons the stars like Antiparos is because they are left alone to enjoy their holiday.

Brotherleelove is certainly a celebrity on Santorini. I have witnessed how starstruck some Fodorites and TAers have been when they meet him!
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Oh yeah, right, the paparazzi just won't leave me alone. Women throw themselves at my feet, rose petals line my path wherever I go, old ladies kiss my ring. Tommie, Mo and I go waaaaaaay back!
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Yup, that's just what I saw!
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM

So maybe it won't be hard to recognize you guys walking the paralia.
sorry johnkathy.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Don, didn't you tell me that Madonna was turned down for a land purchase because of the potential disruption to Antiparos? I seem to remember hearing this.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM

No, I hadn't heard that. The story was in Paros News last year, and there were a few rumors around the island. I don't think Antiparians would mind another celebrity on the island - they mostly stick to their villas, maybe coming into town from time to time for dinner and shopping. People mostly leave them alone. Prince Albert of Monaco has been to Antiparos more than once, and if they can handle that, they can cope with Madonna.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM

This is what appeared in Paros Life (scroll down to '2009 Tourism Season Results': http://paroslife.parosweb.com/story....2546&issue=130
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Posts like this make me turn to Google. Here is another relevant story: http://www.thecypriot.com/pages/temp...x?ID=694&cat=2

Now I will say no more - I would hate to see Antiparos attract the hype that some other islands (e.g. Naxos) get on Fodor's. ;-)
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Oh Heimdall, sorry. Don't mean to be one-sided. If you'll check my posts, I most often mention Naxos in response to inquiries from families who either (1) have toddlers that they wan tto have on the sand in front of their unit, yet also want to be near "town" for shopping & tavernas or (2) have adolescents who want to have some free rein safely. and also, don't want to have to rent a car much. And St.George Beach adjacent to Naxos Town (if not in high season) ticks all those boxes.

If I see a couple who can rent a scooter or ATV, who likes to adventure around to different beaches, who wants some nightlife too... then I recommend Paros heartily. I've had a great time on Paros, when with 2 friends who rented a car and wanted to see the whole thing. I loooove that pebble beach on the east shore, Logaras ... and finding ruins like that temple of Apollo on a hill overlooking the port (even tho a shepherd chased us off with his dog).
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM

No need to apologize, Jan! Keep recommending Naxos, it's a beautiful island. Reading some of the posts, though, I've noticed it's getting harder to find a vacancy at some of the beachside hotels on St George that get mentioned over and over on Fodor's. And is that oft mentioned restaurant near the kastro not as good as it used to be? Could there be a connection? ;-)
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM

You may have noticed that I am not specific about the dear little place where I now stay ... of course it wouldn't suit everyone... no lobby at all... but not taking chances. And Hotel Glaros has become almost impossible to book since a nice guy I know bragged on it so much ... it got into Michelin, and then some German hiking clubs booked up the whole thing for weeks at a time... sigh. I have 4 or 5 more nice little places I checked out last May, though.

Regarding restaurants...You are right about To Kastro... some of us TA'ers had dinner there last may and were quite let down ... but there are other good spots as well.

Not to spoil anything, but I have a fave on the Paros waterfront up by Livadia', Aeolus, but I don't really know how good it is, I always get the same thing there and it's wizard, so I don't vary my choice... I get Kleftiko, they never fail me, and sometimes split an order of Marides yummm, and a shredded lettuce salad with onions, olives & feta, about the size of a helmet! for about 3€. Not classic cuisine, but fine with me.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Hi Jan,

I'm guilty, too, often recommending Naxos, rarely mentioning my favorite island. Why spoil a good thing? ;-)

Now Gronaldo has let the cat out of the bag with his post about celebs on Antiparos. BTW, the post looks suspiciously like advertizing with it's link at the bottom.

Fortunately the plans for a 6,000ft runway on nearby Paros seem to be on hold. The site has been picked, plans made, and all that's needed is the funding. With the present Greek budget deficit, I can't see that happening soon. When the new airport eventually comes, though, international flights will be only an hour away from Naxos. A long runway will open the islands up to package holiday companies, changing the character of Paros, Antiparos, and Naxos forever.

So, lets start using our imaginations and put more variety in our posts. There are <i>many, many</i> wonderful Greek Islands, not just in the Cyclades, either.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Unfortunately, dear H, some of those appealing isles are not as accessible, at least to people who must come from afar (Australia/N America) and who have such limited time. I would love to try out Thassos, and Llimnos, Syros, Karpathos, Astypalea --- and if I win the lottery and can stay in Greece a longer time, someday perhaps I shall. And someday pigs will fly.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM

All the Greek islands with airports are an hour or less away from Athens. All the islands on your list, save Thassos, are served by flights from Athens Airport. For Thassos you can fly to Kavala, then take the 70 min ferry. Syros is the first stop for Blue Star Ithaki, taking less than four hours from Piraeus, and has an airport as well.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Sorry Hd'll didn't mean Syros, I've been there (actually felt out of place not being Greek it's 99% Greek),.. I meant to type Skyros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -