Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which City to Visit in Italy? First Time!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Europe for the first time, and have set our minds on at least Paris, but can't decide where to go in Italy. We love shopping (Prada, Dolce, Gucci), and seeing the sights, as well as exploring the city. We don't mind walking and would love to go to some good cafés, could you make some recommendations? Is the Vatican City worth a visit? Also, recommendations for areas to stay.

Thanks,
Lane
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Also any thoughts on Madrid and Barcelona for a first time?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

*timer
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM

Your post is all over the place. Seems you haven't got guidebooks and haven't done much research. OK, we know you like designers.

You don't mention how much time you have, what your budget is, what your interests besides designer clothing are. WHY are you going to Europe? What pulls you?

How do you plan to get from Paris to Italy?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM

well, I personally don't care to spend the money on the labels, but this is about YOU, not me, so I would go to MILAN!!! You can see the Duomo and some other truly beautiful sights, and even the Milan airport has some of the shops you mention! I am pretty sure that Milano has all of th ehsops you mention.You could take a train from France and see lots of scenery along the way, and fly home from Milan.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM

I recommend to skip Vatican; it has nothing to offer about shopping and coffee.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:07 PM

Rome or Florence.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

I did mention that I like to see the main attractions, including churches and museums. I want to just have a relatively laid back vacation and just explore the city that I go to. I haven't gotten tickets yet, but can fly or take the train which do you prefer? I did think about Milan but many say that it isn't authentic italian and there isn't a lot to do there. I've always wanted to go there and maybe I could visit two Italian cities but that seems like a lot. I will have 7-10 days to spend there.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM

Rome isn't exactly laid back, but it has much to offer in all of your other departments.

Another option if you want laid back is to combine Milan (weekend, maybe?) with a lake visit, Lake Como, for example. But depends on what time of year.

In high summer I would frankly avoid Venice/Florence. Another time of year I would try for one of them.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Would you recommend Milan for our first time to Italy? Where to stay on Lake Como?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:30 PM

Rome! Stay in the area near the Pantheon.Rome is a walking city. Walk to the Vatican while you are there.Giolitti for gelato.Shopping on the Corso 100 yards away.On my last visit, I stayed at the Nazional 3 blocks from the Pantheon, near Giolittis, but your profile may call for the Hassler near the Spanish steps or the Du Russie near the Villa Borghase.

No on Milan (way down the list, no, not even on the list).

No on Madrid and Barcelona for a first visit, save for your 5th visit.

If Lake Como is on your bucket list, it is a haul from Rome. I think it could be reached by train, Rome-Milan-Como. I have not been there, but I have been to nearby Lugano. Beautiful area, if you like lakes.Perhaps Amalfi coast for a few days would substitute.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:50 PM

I wouldn't take Milan off the list altogether, but it's certainly not a high priority when you've got Rome (with the Tivoli Gardens), Florence and Venice!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:38 AM

What about flying from Paris to Venice on easyjet, spending some time there and then taking the train to Milan? You could even stop in Verona or Padua for a day or so.

Be sure you make reservations well in advance if you want to see the Last Supper in Milan.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM

This is my ranking list:

1. Rome - it is the capital, it has gorgeous Roman buildings, baroque churches, the Vatican and everything you expect from a metropolis. The most diverse city in Italy.

2. Venice - a truly unique city, with an abundance of medieval palaces and art.

3. Florence - a medieval gem with spectacular buildings.

4. Milan - the main attractions are the cathedral and the last supper.

You will find your Gucci stuff everywhere (best in Rome, of course).
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:21 AM

You might look at your previous posts on this topic, which had many replies. Each time, you seemed to say you were set on Milan and Lake Como. So that sounds like something you are drawn to; that trip would also including shopping, museums and relaxation.

Go there.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM

I love shopping too, but you can easily shop in the stores you mentioned in the United States (assuming that's where you live). You will not find the prices in those stores in Italy to be any cheaper than in the U.S. Personally, I don't like to, in my opinion, waste my time in Europe shopping for the same things I can buy at home. Instead, I like to focus on museums, art, architecture, history, beautiful views and good food.

Milan does have some nice sites, e.g. the Duomo, La Scala, Galleria Vittoria Emanuele, Pinacoteca di Brera (art museum), Sforza Castle, the Last Supper. However, you could see those sites in 2 days.

Personally, I would recommend spending more time in Venice instead (which does have fine shopping too). Venice is so beautiful and unique and has so many things to see.

If you have 10 days, I like the idea of flying from Paris to Venice, staying there 3 or 4 nights, taking the train to Milan for 2 nights then spending 2 or 3 nights at Lake Como via public transportation or private driver (I'm not sure whether your 10 days includes travel from Paris to wherever you choose and from Europe home). I would probably pick Bellagio.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

So the question is now Venice and Milan and Lake Como or Rome?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM

If you are going only one place in italy it should be rome. Besides being the center of one of the world's great religions (Vatican) Rome rules a goo part of the western world for the best part of a millennium - never mind what happened from the REnaissance and on.

Granted it is a large city - but it is perfectly possible tohave a relaxed, slow-paced vacation there - if you have the time for it.

As for Milan - it definitely is a genuine italian city. It's just an italian business city - with fashion being one of the major businesses. (I admit to not being a label hound - and in any case most everything is cheaper in NYC than in europe - unless you are looking for specific items not available here.)

And I wold pair rome with the Amalfi Coast - rather then trek all the way to the far north of Italy.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM

I love Venice but not Milan. I do love to shop. You will also find all the major Italian labels in Paris, as well as the French labels. I head to Rome for the fist time this Fall...so...

I would choose Paris and Rome. You will find plenty to do in both cities...shop, sightsee, relax in cafes. Both Paris and Rome, I believe, offer some great day trip opportunities.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

I think that I've decided on Rome. Although I want to see Milan and it's shopping, I'm sure that Paris will be more than enough, and Rome will have plenty to do in sights alone. Thanks for all the feedback. How much time do you recommend staying there with a 5 or 6 day max?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -