Which city in Germany?

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which city in Germany?

Greetings,

In culural and artistic terms, what city is a must see for an interior design student traveling in the fall? Unfortunately only have 2-3 days and would like to know your opinions and experiences.
thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:44 AM
JonJon

Based on what information you've supplied I'd say: Berlin

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi JonJon,
You prefer Berlin, may I ask why?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

From your previous comments and researching a bit on Berlin, there is quite a lot more to do in Berlin than in Munich or Frankfort. Do you think that 2 full days (3 nights) is sufficent? Or due to the short stay would you then recommend going to another city?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:49 AM

vanenechy - I would 2nd JonJon's rec. For an interior design student the Bauhaus Museum would be an absolute must! Check out the website at "www.bauhaus.de/english". There are many other museums you could visit, not to mention the new modern architecture around the Potsdammer Platz, the new government quarter and the new Jewish Museum.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kindly for responding! I'll check it out!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM

I second that Berlin has the "most to do", even though thats a pretty subjective remark, and I don't want to take anything away from Munich or any other city for that matter. But you're a student like me, and I was amazed at how large Berlin was. There are a number of different museums, and alot of stuff to do for someone my age...they say that berliners party straight from friday evening until the sun comes up on monday morning. 2 days is almost too little time to spend there.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM
AllyPally

I agree with Robkoval. I went to Berlin for the weekend in September and it was WONDERFUL. The only other German cities I have visited have been Frankfurt, Heidelberg and Cologne so I am hardly an expert. However, Berlin wins hands down for me. Although I am not an art expert, can I assume that you are looking for somewhere to inspire you? If so, then Berlin is the place. Check out Potsdamer Platz which has a very weird, futuristic vibe to it. In fact, the whole of Berlin has a strange vibe - I couldn't really put my finger on it, which makes it really intriguing. I think that it has been through so much in recent history that the trauma has been absorbed into the buildings and the streets (do I sound absolutely mad, or what?). Anyway, it is a city of contrasts: old buildings, new buildings, bullet holes, art galleries, leafy streets, concrete wastelands. I think the thing with Berlin is that it is racing to catch up and you can feel that, right now! So, if you want to see a work of art in progress - GO. You won't regret it.

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM

In germany-Hamburg

I would suggest the city of Salzburg, Austria
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM

In germany-Hamburg

I would suggest the city of Salzburg, Austria

Go to salzburg.info on the internet
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Are you traveling other parts of Europe? Knowing your logistics might help provide some advice. Flying into/ out of, or part of a tour?

Are you interested in museums, architecture, art? Do you prefer large metropolatin cities, or smaller villages? Off-the-beaten path, or tourist freindly? Looking for things on a budget?

Bavaria has a lot of interesting rococo and baroque interiors. Berlin would be more modern and edgy. Can't really lose in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, or just about anyplace you visit. Two or three days will give you enough of a taste that you'll have a better feel for the next visit.