Which castle?

Jan 9th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Which castle?

My mom and I are ecstatic to be returning to England this April. We are both history buff and castles are high on our list of must-see attractions. While putting together my wish list for places to visit this time I've found two castles that sound wonderful - Warwick and Leeds. I'd like to visist both but if we only have time for one, which should I pick? Anyone who has seen both - do you have a preference? We will be traveling by train with our BritRail passes, hoping to base ourselves in London go out on day trips.
Jan 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I've been to both and they are both great - you can't miss with either one. Warwick was a little more interesting in that there are rooms that are set up with wax figures. The castle is now owned by Madame Traussauds. There are two series of rooms. One is a Victorian era and the other is medieval. Then there are also plenty of areas that are just plain - no wax figures. There is also lots of places to climb up towers, etc. The setting is beautiful, along the river, and you can walk out back along the river. The town of Warwick is also nice. It's small but seems like a "typical" English town. We had tea in a tea shop and went to several antiuqe shops that were quite reasonable. Also some nice old half timbered buildings. It was about an hour and a half train ride from London.

Leeds Castle was also beautiful but didn't have quite as much to "do". We drove to that one (two different trips) so I don't know how easy it is to train there from London. I don't remember there being any town right near it, but I went to Leeds Castle about 4 years ago. I was just at Warwick this past spring so my memory of it is a little sharper.

I guess if I had to pick it would be Warwick. I have a few photos of each if you'd like to see them - go to pbase.com/annforcier and go to the England gallery.
Jan 9th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Warwick is the prototypical medieval castle - it can easily fill a whole day between the castle, lovely high street, Lord Leycester Hospital and St Marys Church.

Leeds on the other hand is a very pretty castle with nice gardens, but inside there isn't much to see. Most people go for the gardens - many do not pay the extra to go inside the bldg. But truth be told, they are not even the prettiest gardens in Kent.

I've been to both many times. If you wanted to spend a couple of days touring around Kent seeing Dover, Canterbury, Sissinghurst, Scotney, Hever, Chartwell, Leeds, etc. - then I'd say Leeds. But just to go to one - I'd definitely choose Warwick.
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I would also vote for Warwick castle. Much more to do there.
If you want to stay in a castle, try Langley Castle in Hexham. It dates from Edward III's time and is wonderfully restored. Hexham is on the Hadrian's Wall Trail. Great if you're interested in history and walking. Hexham is easily accessible by train but it is not a day-trip from London.
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Isabel...Your pictures are awesome! I joined the PBbase site. Thanks for sharing all of you fabulous pictures and the website!
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts on these two castles. You've helped me decide to make Warwick castle a priority and save Leeds for "if we have time".