Reload this Page >

Which Cabaret is the best in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
Susan

Never having been to Paris, we want to go to either Moulin Rouge, Crazy Horse or Lido. What are your opinions?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM
ff

to the top...

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Tired

Susan -<BR><BR>PLEASE text search &quot;Moulin Rouge&quot; for tons of threads on this topic. It's been addressed about a million times.<BR><BR>My own opinion is that all these shows are a waste of time, but plenty of people disagree with me, and you'll find plenty of feedback.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Forget the Moulin@

The only cabaret that is authentically Parisien and not totally tourist-oriented is Au Lapin Agile. Do it - it'll be one of the highlights of your trip.<BR><BR><BR>The others are just gross tourist rip-offs and have nothing to do witrh Parisian life.<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:08 PM
bob

I'm not big on tourist-oriented shows, so the ones you mentioned were passed on. Au Lapin Agile was different. Sure, tourists there, but low key and very Parisian. Really enjoyed the experience and could imagine Sarte or Picasso hanging out in the same exact atmosphere.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Sue

Another vote for Au Lapin Agile!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Mike

I've been to the Moulin Rouge and was not impressed. It was a tourist ripoff. Is Au Lapin Agile similar? What types of shows/entertainment?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Mary

I went to Les Folies-Bergere many years ago in 1950, for my 15th birthday - way before the time of the Crazy Horse and Lido. It was beautiful and exciting for me,(and the Parisien extravaganza of choice back then) and there weren't that many American tourists in Paris at that time-there were movie stars in the audience. On my many trips to Paris since then, I've never wanted to see any of these shows, and be disillusioned!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:09 PM
StCirq

Mike: Au Lapin Agile, in Montmartre, is I believe Paris's oldest cabaret. It does not feature half-naked women in feathers doing line dances; rather, it is a kind of sing-along of old French drinking songs, with regulars from the neighborhood joining in for solos and the odd skit or two. It's in a kind of cave/cellar-like atmosphere with candles and large tables. You are issued song sheets in case you want to sing along. Cherry brandy is served, but no meals. It is indeed unique. I've been twice and loved it - really gives you a sense of being part of the history of Paris.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Mike

Thanks for your input, StCirq. We're going to Paris next month and staying in that area. I think we'll check it out.