Which Beach Would You Pick in Santorini

Aug 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Which Beach Would You Pick in Santorini

If you had to pick 1 or 2 beaches to visit while in Santorini - which would you pick?

Also - I would like to use public transportation (bus) to reach them - so the beaches reachable by bus are preferred.

thanks

Aug 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM

You don't go to Santorini for the beaches, rather for the caldera view. There are much better beaches on the other islands and mainland.
Aug 30th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I'd choose the rocks below Oia at the end of the seawall that begins on the wharf at Amoudi (best swimming on the island!)
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

SuQue - yes I know you dont go there for the beaches. But since we will be there for a number of days, I wanted a break from the caldera view and check out a beach for a day and therefore wanted to know which is the best.

Brotherleelove2004 - thanks for the response
Aug 31st, 2007, 07:29 AM

I donīt know why, but I like Perivolos.
G.
Aug 31st, 2007, 09:21 AM

I second brotherleelove's recommendation and also suggest Red Beach near Akrotiri - very dramatic scenery. I think you can take public transportation there but you should double check that, especially if the archeological site is still closed.

Jana
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
wug

Baxedes beach, if you're staying in Oia. Maybe not the most beautiful but definitely the most peaceful. We always stay in Oia and will go to this beach at least once while on Santorini. You can almost have the beach to yourself and it's really beautiful later in the day. Also, there is a winery on the way back from the beach where you can stop and have a taste. Doesn't get much better than that!

I also second what brotherleelove said about below Oia. I also love visiting the Red Beach just for the uniqueness of it.
Aug 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM

Brotherleelove is right. We love the walk to the rocky point and swimming to the little island next to it was a treat. We were not brave enough to jump from the rocks. Loved it and can stop for a snack at Amoundi on the way back up to Oia!
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM

If u are going in September, check this out on Perivolos Beach -- the Salty Beach club. Stumbled onto it in sept 2003. It is right on the beach, has lovely chaises all around the pool AND a Jacuzzi? whirlpool kind of thing.

It was wonderful to swim in the sea (DO remember to buy those cheap 'water shoes' for the hot pebbly/gritty beach) and then run into the pool, to rinse off above-mentioned grit, then loll on the chairs.

Almost no one there in Sept. We were not asked for any "ticket" but just bought a ginger ale at the (deserted) bar. Being old NYC types, we couldn't believe there was no charge, so I pulled one on my friend Susan. After she finished doing laps in the pool I told her, the man just came by and we owe 10 euros each.

Anyway, there WAS a deal I learned about later; just at the foot of the new Arch. museum is a small trav. agency; sign in window said 5 Euro ticket to Salty Beach club -- includes bus tickets both ways and a soft drink. When I went back in May 2005, I asked about it and they said the club didn't open till July.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM

bookmarking
Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM

bookmarking
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I will look into the beaches mentioned!