Which Argo Saronic island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have booked the flights to visit Greece for seven days next May. We have not visited before mainly because my wife has always been put off, I suspect by what one might delicately refer to as the "toilet paper issue". She has a special birthday in 2011 and I would like to organise a super romantic trip to Santorini for her - so next years visit is by way of a softening up exercise, to try and convince her that Greece really is a wonderful vacation destination.
Provisionally intend to spend three nights in Athens and four nights on one of the nearby islands. The choice seems to be either Aegina, Agistri, Poros or Hydra as these are all easily reached by hydrofoil from Piraeus. Which one of these might be described as the prettiest and would be recommended to give a little wow factor to convince her that Greece is a place she really would like to return to. We are both older and reasonably fit and enjoy sightseeing and eating out. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Also, would you think it worthwhile adding one more night to Athens and incorporate a day trip, say to Delphi thus cutting down the number of nights on one of the islands to three.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM

We did Aegina as a day trip from Athens and it was "OK" but nothing of the wow factor you're going to get in Santorini. If you have three days you can get to one of the further out islands. Naxos and Paros were the other two we did besides Santorini (we had two nights in each of the three islands). Naxos or Paros are much nicer than Aegina and the ferry ride is not that long (and it's enjoyabale). If you only have a week and want a sampling I'd do one of those for half the week and Athens for the other half.

There is no "toilet paper issue" any of the places we went.

My trip report and link to photos is at:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM

I like Hydra best.

Many day tours that leave from Piraeus visit all three islands of Poros, Aegina, and Hydra.

What is a "toilet paper issue"? I don't get it.

Thin
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Hydra is quaint because there are no cars allowed.

The TP issue: Please don't flush TP down the toilets because the local septic systems are antiquated and paper products can clog the waste lines, causing backups and overflowing drains. A bin is provided for the disposal of paper products.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Re: toilet paper issue. The only time I have ever really come across this was in Patra.

I certainly flushed my toilet at the Athen's Intercontinental and The Grande Bretagne.

I most certainly flushed my toilet at the Rodos Park Hotel in Rodos.

You can shop at Cartier, Bulgari, and Louis Vuitton in Athens. You can walk around the Plaka with your blueberry muffin from Starbucks. You are not going third-world, sweetie darling.

Thin
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM

With only 7 days, I would go to Hydra for a three days. It is quite unique. You could also visit Aegina and see the temple or go to Poros and then over to the mainland to Epiduarus. I would save the Cyclades islands for another visit when you have more time.
Athens has all the chain shops that any other European city has. It also has some remarkable ancient sites and interesting museums to see as well.