1st time visitors to Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-- I am planning to visit Greece in mid september with 5 friends-- all first timers (female, ages 26-31). If we'd like to spend 8 days there-- and would like to see athens and 2-3 islands. Any recommendations as to how many days should be spent in each place? Thanks for any/all suggestions!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:33 PM

Hi Brink...

I take it you are flying in and out of Athens? If you're interested in Athens and then 3 Islands, you will be very limited on time.

Depending on when you fly into Athens (morning would work better for what I am about to suggest), you can stay there a night, and have 2 full days, catching an overnight ferry on the second day. Two islands are doable, I suppose (lots of people seem to island hop like mad) If it's your first time, many tend to want to stick with the Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, Santorini trail. I would also recommend flying back from the Islands to Athens to catch your flight if possible.

What are you looking for? Dramatic beauty? Just some time on the beach? A smaller village? Santorini is very dramatic, and I think it's what many picture when they think of Greece. For party central, Ios is infamous. I really enjoyed the little village of Naoussa on Paros, myself.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:09 AM

You can easily do Athens in 2 or 3 days and not feel like you're missing anything. For the islands the Cyclades are close by and have a regular ferry schedule. I spent 4 days in Syros and absolutely loved it. And Tinos and Mykonos are close by if you wanted to do some island hopping.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:52 PM

I mostly agree with the first reply, but Athens and three islands may be a bit ambitious for an eight day trip. Two days is plenty for Athens, and Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, Santorini an ideal island hopping route, but the remaining six days doesn't give you much time for three islands. If you take an overnight ferry (saving one night's hotel bill) go to Santorini first, and make your way north from there. If you choose Paros, go to Naoussa or Antiparos. If Naxos, stay in the main town and take the bus to the beaches. Mykonos is an interesting place for nightlife, people watching and the day trip to Delos. There are many ferries from there to Piraeus and Rafina.

I think you would be best off thinking about your priorities, and choosing one or two islands rather than three.

Consider saving the Athens segment for the end of your trip. That way you have no worries about ferry cancellations which could cause you to miss your flight home.

September is an ideal time to visit the Greek islands. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:47 PM

Hi Brink
I would propose to stay in Athens for 2 days and then go by plane to the magic island of Samos (great hotel kalidon palace)for 4 days and from Samos you can also visit Ikaria, Fourni, Patmos with ferry boat, for the rest days.
Have fun
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:01 PM

I agree with Heimdall's very good point. If you can get to Athens, then get to an island ASAP, it will be better to do Athens on the end of your trip. I flew from Paros to Athens and caught a same day connection from Athens to Paris. I was a little stressed about making the all important connection (because if I didn't make it to Paris, I'd miss my flight back to the U.S.!!)