Which area to stay in in Istanbul

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which area to stay in in Istanbul

I see hotels in Sultanahmet, Taksim Square and along the Bosphorus. Any opinions on the best area? Sultanahmet appears to be closest to the major sites, but how about restaurants and shopping? Is it better to be a little away from the hustle and bustle of Sultanahmet?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM

You can get lots of varying opinions on this but we were in Sultanhamet this year and in 2006 and certainly preferred it to being along the Bosphorus which we did many years ago. I find Taksim Square to be very over rated. My advice, stick with Sultanahmet.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM

We stayed in Sultanahmet for five nights last September and loved it. When we wanted to go out in Taksim, we just got a cab.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I agree with the other posters. We stayed in Sultanahmet last July, and enjoyed being able to walk to most of the major sites. We also visited Taksim, and didn't understand why so many posters recommend staying there. I'm wondering if we missed some of its more interesting neighborhoods?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Dear Sgreif,

Although Sultanahmet is quite crowded and busy with tourists and other tourist related activities during the day, it is peaceful and quiet at night. Apart from being in the middle of all major historic sites, you feel the atmosphere of the old city in Sultanahmet. If you want crowds, entertainment, noise and adventure you can take a cab and Taksim is only 15 minutes away.

On the other hand, you can stay at Ciragan, Swiss Hotel or Conrad if you want to be close to Bosphorus.

P.S. As for shopping, I recommend that you go to Levent area (just take Metro-Underground to go there from Taksim) to shop at Akmerkez, Kanyon or Metro City for quality goods at reasonable prices.

With all good wishes.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM

One more addition to the locations; Asian side of Istanbul along the Bosphorus. If one has time and the budget there are excellent hotel with more quiet neighbourhood.....

But yes if the reason of visit to see must seen places and time is a concern Sultanahmet or Sirkeci is the choice....

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Sultanahmet! We were there in high season and did not find it very crowded and very nice to walk around in. Great food.

( We were in a small hotel near four seasons....lots of nice ones in that area and quite quiet.)