Which Area to Stay in Co. Donegal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at some beautiful self-catering traditional cottages online for my Feb. trip to Co. Donegal. Any suggestions of good areas to stay -- or areas to avoid?

We'll be using the cottage as a base for day trips in that area. (Have already been to the Antrim Coast and Derry -- so won't be doing those areas.)

One of the prettiest cottages is located near Ramelton. Many are within 10 miles of Letterkenny. Others are in the Inishowen area. Our main interests are scenery (and strolling in charming little towns). It would be nice to have a base that isn't too far from a town -- and is convenient to other areas for sightseeing.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Near Letterkenny is a good base for most of Donegal. Ramelton is not far from there. I did self-catering in Rathmullen (a little north of Ramelton) in 2001. I had easy access to the Fanad Peninsula and coastline west from there. For the Inishowen Peninsula you would have to go back into Letterkenny and then north again. The town of Rathmullen was very small and our second time into the local pub the publican automatically pulled our favorite pints for us. There is nothing like being recognized by the locals and remembered! Of course we were the only Yanks in town on Sept. 11, 2001 so that may have been memorable in itself.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM

We stayed in Ballyshannon just south of Donegal and loved it. In fact left Ballyshannon to head south and after a few days down south we came back to Ballyshannon because other towns just didnt seem as nice. There are several pubs in the area and strolling the town before sunrise was one of the highlights of my trip. You will have the streets to yourself that time of day( and have great light for photos)
Killybegs,Glencolumbkille (definately drive up to that part of Donegal even if you dont stay there!), and Ardara seemed like nice towns as well. I wouldn't stay in Letterkenny myself as I tend to like the smaller towns.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM

Songdoc,

For my money the best part of Donegal is to the south and west of a line through Dunfanaghy/Letterkenny/Donegal.

Outside this line is less attractive and more developed in many places.

Inishowen is a bit out on a limb.

Michael
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Hi Songdoc,
If you've been to Antrim and Derry, you may wish to stay in the west or southwest part of Co. Donegal. The benefit of Ramelton/Letterkenny/Inishown is the proximity to Derry and N.I. for day trips.

We rented a cottage in Rathmullen and, while we enjoyed our week, I wouldn't stay there again as the town was perhaps too small. We drove through Ramelton nearly every day on our way to Rathmullen and I was glad we hadn't stayed there. It struck me (in August) as dark.

I also was a little disappointed in Inishowen as there's a lot of holiday cottage development springing up nearly everywhere, especially by the charming towns.

We liked Letterkenny - but I thought the area slightly to the west, around Churchill was nicer. I think Wasleys makes a very good point about where to look. Some of those valleys looked very appealing and would make your daytrips easier.

Have you seen anything near Killybegs that looked good? That area has lovely, charming towns and beautiful scenery. I'd like to stay near there sometime.

If you shared the links of cottages I'm sure you'd gather many opinions from all of us!

If you
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM

The Crest of the Waves (ocean front)houses in Bundoran are wonderful and relaxing. There's a walking path along the ocean and some wonderful restaurants (LaSabbia; Smugglers Creek) nearby. Some critisize Bundoran as being too touristy/glitzy. We've had a delightful times there. Enjoy Dongegal.