Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where's the best place to go in europe for an inexpensive holiday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 01:24 AM
Jimmy (Clan of Scotland)

Will be hitching down and over to europe for a week at the end of this month. Any ideas for any places to visit that don't cost too much?

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 06:07 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

JIMMY, Portugal !

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 08:50 AM
betsy

Jimmy <BR> <BR>We found the prices in Germany to be very reasonable this summer. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>Prague should be quite cheap. <BR> <BR>also, a general rule is the further south you go, the cheaper it tends to be (in other words, Scandinavia will be more expensive than Italy). <BR> <BR>I would also say that given the way the Euro is behaving this summer, any of the Euro countries should be cheaper. <BR> <BR>I just got back from Ireland a few month ago - now THAT was really cheap. B&Bs for 30 a night, food for 5-10 bucks a meal, etc. <BR> <BR>have fun! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Sjoerd

Cheapest is non-touristy Eastern Europe: Czech Republic except Prague (although Prague is also quite cheap), Poland, Slovak Republic. <BR>Turkey is cheap, Portugal is reasonable. Other euro-zone countries are cheap if you are from UK, USA. <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Natasha

- <BR>Turkey is cheap. <BR>I've seen some VERY reasonable packages (air/hotel/touring) from the states to there. And presume that you could find equally as inexpensive starting from where you are.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Sheila

Greece

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>If you'll take the view of a southerner, I think my order, starting with the cheapest, agrees with Sjoerd. It is <BR> <BR>Slovakia <BR>Ukraine (but the visa is a nuisance) <BR>Bulgaria <BR>Romania, using bed and brealkfast or hostels <BR>Hungary <BR>Czech Republic except Prague <BR>Poland except Krakow <BR>The Baltic States (but I'm not sure) <BR>Turkey <BR>Krakow <BR>Prague <BR>Southern Spain <BR>Southern Italy <BR>Croatia <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London