Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre Walk

Search

Cinque Terre Walk

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 10:27 PM
Deb

Cinque Terre Walk

We are currently planning a trip to Italy and have heard a few mentiones of the Cinque Terre and the walk between these seaside towns. Can anybody provide us with any details or personal experiences about this area? Where is the closest accommodation in the area? Are there any spots that we must see? We look forward to hearing more about the region.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 02:03 AM
Sheila

I did the northmost section of the walk, which I understand to be the toughest, in June this year. The 5 villages are very pretty, and based at the bottom of steep cliffs. There is a boat which goes between all of them (except Corniglia) and they ae also linked by the railway. The last section of the walk took a couple of hours. It is very steep at either end and is otherwise quite easy, although a bit crowded and very narrow in places. It's warm in summer, so take plenty water. <BR> <BR>There are lots of postings on here from people who have stayed around there, so you might want to try a search

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:10 AM
net

Deb-Check out www.travelzine.com and read the Freedman's experience of the Cinque Terre. A rather unique place not to be missed. We rolled into Monteresso mid-day on a Monday in May of '99 and took up lodging at Hotel Pasquale (basically the first hotel we stumbled upon). It was sparse yet clean and reasonably priced. We also had an amazing vista out over the Liguiri Coast! Monteresso is a charming little village (as I understand all of the five villages to be). We planned on hiking to Vernazza in the afternoon and wanted to pick up some water while we were out but were unable to because it was a Monday and all of the stores were closed. Thinking the hike to be more of a stroll to Vernazza we headed out with nothing but an orange. Thank goodness for that orange! Be sure to bring water! What an interesting hike--miles and miles of stone steps covering the mountainside with constant views of this beautiful coast! Our first view of Vernazza with it's colorful buildings is one I'll never forget. <BR>We dined that night at one of our most memorable meals at a small seafood restaurant in Monteresso that was a bit of a walk, but well worth it. The name escapes me right now, but it is down a side street past the train station and has a big deck out front with picnic tables (I believe) as well as indoor dining. Outside we dined on a fried fish platter. Not your average fried fish platter--I've never had more delicious lightly coated crab, lobster, calamar, shrimp! The best! And what made it even more special is that the chef came out to talk to us for quite awhile, starving to practice his English and to discuss US politics and culture. Apparently he worked in a restaurant in NY and very much enjoyed it here. That coupled with the wonderful food made for like I said one of our most memorable meals in Northern Italy! <BR>Enjoy!

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Byrd

Try www.cinqueterre.it for information on hotels, restaurants, footpaths, the villages, etc. We stayed at the Porto Roco and loved it. <BR> <BR>Byrd <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Richard

We have trekked Cinque Terre twice, in September of 1991 and 1992. Each time we started at Riomaggiore, we think it's the more scenic route. Vernazza gets a lot of mention, and deservedly so, it's beautiful at first view from either direction. We stayed in LaSpezia in '91 and Monterosso in '92 and had a good time in both. A local train connects all 5 towns so if you tire, you can hop on the train. Strong agreement with the 'bring water' advice, a liter each. Stop in Vernazza for a gelato, it's wonderful, and take time to walk the town. There are blue/white blazes marking the trail, but they can be hard to find in Vernazza, the trail leads thru the town and thru a couple of alleys. After the terraced vineyards of Manarola and Corniglia, after leaving Vernazza you'll walk through the olive groves, a nice bit of shade. Always, views of the Med are spectacular. A great beach in Monterosso.