Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you suggest for a 1/2 week trip at Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Marty

Last year, we went to Paris for Thanksgiving and really enjoyed that quick trip. We left on Wednesday and returned on Sunday. We have been to Paris before, so we took some friends to show around. This year, we would like another short trip at the same time. My husband and I will probably travel alone. Does anybody have a great suggestion for a European destination that you would recommend for a short trip? I am going back to London in the spring, so I would rather not do that.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:56 PM
elvira

Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon. My sister and I are looking at those places for a trip about the same time. <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:42 AM
Marty

Thanks, Elvira. Those are on my list, too. We just came back from Rome, but have never been to Spain or Portugal.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 03:24 AM
Howard

Hello <BR> <BR>The suggestions offered by Elvira are good ones. I would be partial to southern Europe, since the weather would be better than farther north, and she mentioned some of the best cities. I would add Dublin, Brussels, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam into the mix (in case you don't mind colder, wetter weather). <BR> <BR>By the way, I have had fun looking for turkey on Thanksgiving. Last year I was in Sorrento, Italy, and the night before I went around asking at various restaurants if turkey was available. It was hard to come by, but I really lucked out. One restaurant, whose name I forget, made us a turkey dinner, even though it wasn't on the regular menu, along with squash soup. For the soup, we boght roast chestnuts from a street vendor. It turned out to be a great meal! <BR> <BR>Tiene pavo??

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:25 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:20 AM
amg

Marty, <BR> <BR>If you ar thinking of Spain, I would choose Barcelona over Madrid. Barcelona is perfect for 4 days. Madrid is better for a longer trip because there are a lot of not to be missed day trips - Toledo, Segovia and an over night to Seville. <BR>Barcelona has beautiful sights, great food and good shopping but is a significant distance to the other Spanish tourist highlights. <BR> <BR>My favorite foreign Thanksgiving was in Venezuela - we were in Canaima visiting Angel Falls - we had chicken instead of turkey but the view of the lake, with multiple waterfalls, from the lodge definitly put the thankful in the Thanksgiving. <BR> <BR>Happy Turkey day where ever you go! <BR>Aileen