Where Would You Stay in the Cotswolds

Old Apr 1st, 2017, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Where Would You Stay in the Cotswolds

We will be in the Cotswolds for the first time in mid May for 5 nights. It seems everything is fairly close together and I'm trying to decide on a couple locations based on apt availability. We will have a car and enjoy driving. We want to do some walks and check out some villages & gardens. One day we will likely go to Stratford upon Avon. The towns we are considering are Great Rissington, Cheltenham and Blockley. Any thoughts on these locations? thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where all the yellow cars are !
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Despite the seeming compactness of the Cotswold district, it can take some time driving from one part to another. If you have no particular destinations in mind and are just enjoying the scenery then it doesn't matter much. But if you have a list of places to see I'd recommend finding a place to stay in proximity to as many as possible.

I've stayed in Cheltenham with a car and found it less desirable than others more central and confusing to negotiate driving. For parking purposes, if your accommodation doesn't have a car park, smaller towns are better, or in the countryside, of course.

Here are my most recent, if you need some ideas, posting on Saturdays, several more to come: http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/portmoresby-in-england
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite town would be Burford. Hands down. Large enough to have choices of pubs and restaurants but still quite 'village-y'.

I would NOT stay in Cheltenham.

Great Rissington would be OK -- Near to Burford, the Slaughters etc.

Blockley is farther north so nearer to Hidecote, Snowshill, Sezincote and Stratford. If you want convenience to those sites -- Blockley will save you drive times.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM

The 'yellow car' is in Bibury and no, you probably don't want to stay there for the places you want to visit
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 01:23 PM

We also prefer Burford. We had a lovely stay at the Lamb Inn.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 01:40 PM

Burford would be my choice.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'm still searching for a self catering.
Janis, jamikins & historytraveler -- is it the location of Burford you like or the town?
So far Buford doesn't have anything in our price range or with a larger bed.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 08:38 PM

Have you looked at the following website? www.burfordbedandbreakfast.co.uk

I believe Star Cottage offers a king bed but best double check.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 09:04 PM

>> is it the location of Burford you like or the town?<<

both
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 12:50 AM

Agree with Janisj, the town is lovely with several pubs and shops. It is also easy to get in and out and drive to other villages.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

history traveler- it does have 1 room with a king bed, but it's booked for our dates.

I'll continue to look for buford or surrounds. Really prefer a self catering for 5 days. Unfortunately I just heard from our cottage in Skye and he's selling so we have to find other accommodations. Had trouble back finding a place when I looked and booked in January and now everything is showing booked. So for now that will be my focus.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 04:28 PM

It is really getting very late for booking a place in May. You may just have to take whatever is available regardless of location. Much the same if not more so on Skye. Seems rude to cancel your booking without offering any alternatives. Good luck I hope you find something.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 05:44 PM

I agree. At this late date B&Bs might be easier to find - and even that might be tough on Skye
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 11:26 PM

Calling Great Rissington (pop: 367) a "town" is - well, interesting. A decent pub, a few pretty houses inhabited almost only at weekends, a lovely church with one service most Sundays and that's it. Except for the constant feeling you've stepped into a film set without any humans - or any other animal life apart from the distant sound of a few sheep.

Blockley does have some of the facilities you might expect from a Cotswold nano-town, and a clear sense people live there. It's important these days, when looking at self-catering round here, to check how you're going to eat, and how far your cottage or whatever is from the nearest eating place.

Driving a few miles along our our unlit (but rarely empty) roads after sunset after a couple of hours in a pub isn't everyone's idea of a relaxing end to an evening. Walking across the fields in the dark's differently - but equally - tricky. Walking along the road's close to suicidal.

Get the cottage's FULL postcode (as in GL63 5ZA), and input it into Google Maps. That'll show you what evenings are really going to be like.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

flanneruk - good point about the driving after sunset. We plan to eat in and/or have early dinners as sunset won't be until close to 9.

janis & ht -- yes, I don't like being in this position. I tend to book far out when I can. Skye was difficult when I first booked back in January. And now there was very few places available esp around the area we wanted to stay. The cottage owner that cancelled provided a FB page where you can put your needs and owners can respond as well as post their vacancies 6 weeks out. Yesterday I got 2 good possibilities from cancellations and did book a place. Still deciding on the Cotswolds.

historytraveler - i found your TR from a couple years ago. It was great! I wish I had known about the tour company, I might have considered it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:20 AM

yestravel, very happy to hear you got something booked on Skye. I'll assume you have looked at the website www.manor ottages.co.uk. You might even call to see if they have any cancellations. As janisj's said, you may have to go with a B&B. Any location within the Cotswolds would be fine as the area can be covered rather easily. At this late date, I wouldn't worry about specific areas.

Glad you enjoyed the trip report. It's the only one I've done.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:38 AM

yestravel,I just found this website in my travel file. www.lastminute-cottages.co.uk
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 02:55 PM

How about Broadway. We loved it and it has nice pubs, grocery store and is not too busy?
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Just to follow up. We are staying in a small cottage in Greater Rissington. The location is ok for us. We are about 5 miles in one direction to Burford and in the other direction to Bourton-on-the-Water. Driving has been fine and we've enjoyed going from place to place. We see people walking about in this tiny village. As mentioned aside from the Lamb's Inn there's no commercial establishments. A co-op for food is maybe 5 minutes drive. Thanks again for the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -