Where would you settle in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my lurking days, I've seen posts by many that have spent a great deal of time in Paris, not really as a tourist. If you had the chance now to move to Paris, what arrondisement would you choose and why?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:36 PM

I think I'd choose St. Louis-en-l'Ile in the 4th district. It's secluded but within walking distance to the 5th and 6th districts.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 11:11 PM

For us it would be the 16th--quieter, calmer, but still full of good cafes, restaurants, shopping. Beautiful apartments. Also, near the Bois de Boulogne for walking the dog. (The 6th is out because dogs are only allowed in a small part of the Lux. Gardens; dogs are allowed in the Champ de Mars in the 7th, but it's too full of riff-raff, esp. young guys with their pit bulls). Also, easy access to the peripherique for our drives to our country home--hey if you're going to imagine life in France, go all the way! ;-)
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Which arrondisement would you consider your general middle class neighborhood? One with neighborhood type shops, restaurants, etc?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:03 AM

On that criterion, an arrondissement is quite a large area - you could find something of this sort in almost any. 16 is traditionally VERY upper crust (Parisians have a way of saying 'très seizième' which sums up a few centuries of radical disdain...), 19 is traditional working class, 3 is the Marais, 10 and 11 are 'up and coming' from what were fairly industrialised areas. I occasionally exchange flats with someone in 11. I think the areas around the 4/3/10/11 overlap (between République and Bastille and a kilometre to either side) would probably meet your criteria, but I'm sure there are many others.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:23 AM

My daughter has been living in Paris for the past year [from NY] and she had chosen the 6th, after much research and advice. She absolutely loves it! [so do we, when we visit] In fact, it has a lot to do with how much we love our time there. I don't care for the touristy areas at all. Her neighborhood has great restaurants, cute shops, and so much charm. She had also looked into the 4th, but didn't feel it was as safe, which I'd agree with, after spending time there, although she could have gotten a larger apt. for the same money in that area.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:57 AM

In response to Crepe's last question:
the standard middle class residential neighbourhoods in Paris are essentially the 14th and 15th (also the biggest arrondissement).

The 7th, 8th and parts of the 17th are established bourgeois - especially the closer you get to the 16th. The 7th is also the traditional American ex-pat district.

Montmartre village (NOT Pigalle) is Boho bourgeois (many French actors and media types live there). The St Georges area in the 9th is upper-middle. The 6th is fairly posh, definitely sought-after.

Incidentally, many central arrondissements are too expensive for the average Parisian salary, and flats are often small and poky.

The "Val de Seine" suburbs are much sought after - they include Neuilly, Levallois-Perret, Boulogne-Billancourt, Issy-les-Moulineaux. Slightly further out are the desirable, leafy suburbs of Meudon and Chaville.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Someday, like Francophile03, I hope to live on the Ile St Louis!! I really do.

What about you, crepes_a_go_go??
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

I think right now, I'd be willing to settle for almost anywhere. I want to rent and live there for a while, to drink it all in, get my bearings and make a decision on a more permanent place. I know it's impossible for an American to become a local, but I sure want to try it!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM

ttt
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I read the question yesterday and found myself thoughtful about it. What a marvelous day dream. I decided, anywhere I can have a view of the Seine...first choice one of the islands
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Degas

I'm working on it now - have got a map overlay with all the American fast food outlets marked and should be able to identify some good target areas very soon.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM

In the 70's, I lived in Paris in the 7th. A small flat on Rue Amilie. . one street away from Rue Cler ( before Rick Steves "discovered" it). It was a very comfortable area with many shops and cafes.

We were only a short walk from Champs du Mar where we would picnic often (read: little money for restaurants) I go back to the street from time to time and it has naturally changed, but still seems to have the ambiance that made it comfortable.

Hope this helps . . Rich