Where would you go???

Old Dec 21st, 1997, 10:51 AM
Gary

Where would you go???

Where would you go if:

1. In august you had 2 - 3 weeks to explore and visit leaving from Warsaw, Poland? We would be interested in Italy, Germany, Czech, Switzerland, etc. Like to have an organized agenda or a cruise that encompasses lots of above countries. Budget is open.

2. Don't like a lot of formality or fancy dress but enjoy all the conveniences of upper classes..

tahnks

gary

Old Dec 21st, 1997, 09:51 PM
Donna

You would definitely enjoy Switzerland. The scenery is spectacular and the weather is mild in the summertime. The landscaping is gorgeous and the outdoor cafes are everywhere. Each town is different and it is easy to get from place to place by car or train (your choice would probably depend on how much gear you are lugging around - the scenery is much more enjoyable riding on a train, rather than navigating all the hairpin turns through the mountains). There is the German influence in the East, the French influence in the west, and the Italian influence to the south. Definitely an upscale country, but not too formal or dressy.

Old Dec 22nd, 1997, 07:33 AM
joelle

I would suggest to do Italy (from North to the South) during your two or three weeks. There are so many wonderful places which well deserve to spend several days in each of them.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 02:56 PM
michael

I lived for 1 1/2 years in Poland as a businessman and I would not overlook the merits of that region if you are already traveling there. Krakow is wonderful, as are Prague and Budapest. The only problem will be the tourists in August. Of these three cities, Krakow will probably be the least overrun. In fact, August in Europe is tough because of the hoards traveling around the continent. One year I traveled from Paris to the Riviera in August. What a horror show! In fact, with hindsight, we should have stayed in sunny, calm and gorgeous Burgundy for the week instead of racing to the coast. The Alps may be a little crowded, but not too bad. And they will be blissfully cool and lovely. Italy and Southern points will be very hot. Major capitals will be kind of dead, or worse full of Americans. The Atlantic coast of France might be lovely, but avoid the Mediterranean at all costs. I guess where all this rambling is headed is this: cities may be somewhat depressingly empty of natives; popular coasts (which is to say not all coasts) will be jammed; lovely countrysides (Bourgogne, Pays-Bas, greater Toulouse, Austrian and Swiss Alps) are probably good bets.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 06:24 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Gary, Read my lips---ITALY, ITALY, ITALY !!!
GIVEN THAT TIME FRAME YOU COULD DO IT JUSTICE.
BETTER HISTORY AND CULTURE THAN ENGLAND---BETTER
FOOD THAN FRANCE----MORE DIVERSE GEOGRAPHY THAN
ANYWHERE---FRIENDLIER PEOPLE THAN GERMANY.
I plan custom itineraries to Italy and have done
more than 30 such trips for people like you. If
you want to see the best of Europe, please contact
me directly.