stayaing in Kerry or Dingle

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 07:11 AM
Brigid

stayaing in Kerry or Dingle

Any suggestions on charming B&Bs, small hotels, catles or inns in the Kerry, ring of Kerry or dingle area in the West of ireland? Charm and personality are what we're looking for. Moderage budget (not cheap, not $$$$) thanks.

Old Nov 22nd, 1997, 10:48 AM
John Grant

"One fine morning and the heavy the brightness of the day shinning clear..." This from the Blasket Island poets at the end of the Dingle Peninsula. Only stayed two nights in Dingle Town at Doyle's Country Hotel and Seafood Restaurant but found it one of the best country hotels in Ireland. Nice people, really great food and, of coures, Guiness. Take the archeological tour from Doyle's and drive out to the Blasket islands museum. There is nothing more Irish or more beautiful.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 03:58 PM
David Dillon

So happy to hear you'll be staying in the Kerry/Dingle region. My wife and I have visited that region five times. We recommend that you consider Cleevaun Country House, located about one mile from Dingle Town. The location is just splendid - convenient to town but not too close. This farmhouse accomodation is cozy, with very good breakfasts, and fine service. We wouldn't hesistate to return, which we no doubt will next year. More about Dingle: don't miss the dolphin - Fungie (the boat ride that visits him is a quirky treat). Also, take the memorable ride (car or bike) out to Slea Head. As Rick Steves said, it's Ireland in the "extreme." If weather is on your side, visit the Great Blasket Island and the Blasket Museum (superb!). Also, visit the funky-looking Enchanted Forest. It features teddy bears galore, terrific scones, and conversation - that is, if you get to meet owner Bonnie (a warm and engaging soul). Enjoy Kerry and Dingle. I envy you. P.S. By all means eat at Beginnish in Dingle Town. You won't soon forget this meal.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 03:59 PM
David Dillon

So happy to hear you'll be staying in the Kerry/Dingle region. My wife and I have visited that region five times. We recommend that you consider Cleevaun Country House, located about one mile from Dingle Town. The location is just splendid - convenient to town but not too close. This farmhouse accomodation is cozy, with very good breakfasts, and fine service. We wouldn't hesistate to return, which we no doubt will next year. More about Dingle: don't miss the dolphin - Fungie (the boat ride that visits him is a quirky treat). Also, take the memorable ride (car or bike) out to Slea Head. As Rick Steves said, it's Ireland in the "extreme." If weather is on your side, visit the Great Blasket Island and the Blasket Museum (superb!). Also, visit the funky-looking Enchanted Forest. It features teddy bears galore, terrific scones, and conversation - that is, if you get to meet owner Bonnie (a warm and engaging soul). Enjoy Kerry and Dingle. I envy you. P.S. By all means eat at Beginnish in Dingle Town. You won't soon forget this meal.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 06:42 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Brigid: My great-grandmother emigrated from Kerry in the 1860's and my sister and I have both been back to visit several times since. The posters who have already responded make a good case for Dingle (where an old cousin was pastor of the church for years) but we found it rather touristy. We'd recommend Kenmare--on the south end of the Killarney National Park. A lovely town with lots of pretty drives around (try going to the tip of the Bere Peninsula)--and, most especially, some really GREAT restaurants. I agree that Kerry people are really friendly and outgoing--and I don't see how you can go wrong if you go there. Slan leat! Joan

Old Dec 26th, 1997, 06:19 PM
Charlie

Brigid , if I may I'd like to suggest stauing in Tralee town . It has numerous fine B&B's,a must see cultural center and is centrally located for touring Killarney,Kerry and Dingle. On our last trip the bride and I made Tralee our base for three days and stayed in the center of town(nice when you don't fell up to driving after a day of sighting)and enjoyed walking about to diner and the local sights.Dingle is an easy unrushed day roundtrip, as is Kerry. Killarney, with it's carriage rides, National Park, Gap of Dunloe, Ladies View mountain scenes and lakes are all easily visited in one day . ENJOY ! You lucky devil you.