Where to visit in Kefalonia

Jun 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Where to visit in Kefalonia

Hi, my husband & I are holidaying on Kefalonia for 2 weeks at the end of June. We are staying in Vlachata & will have a car. I am finding it hard to get any travel books with details of the island. We love driving through small villages, (stopping a tavernas for lunch). My husband also likes historical sites ( but not too mny fo me please)! Where should we visit? We do like driving through the mountains & along the coast line. I want to go to Assos, no reason it just looks lovely.
Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Hi walesgirl,

It's been a few years since I last visited Kefalonia (I've been twice) but I fell in love with Fiskardo on my first visit and stayed there on my second. It's the north part of the island but I think it would be doable as a day trip - sorry, other than Argostoli I don't know the southern part of the island at all.

Assos is also very pretty but I felt it was a little too built up the last time I went (which was 4 years ago so I'm sure the building has only continued).

Kefalonia is a beautiful island to drive around. I can't remember the name of the beach but between Assos and Fiskardo is a gorgeous beach at the bottom of the cliffs - you'll see it if you drive that way. It's a really stunning spot either for the view from above or drive down for a swim.

Jana
Jun 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jana. We are really looking forward to this holiday. We love the Greek Islands. The people are so nice, food is fab & beautiful scenery & beaches. Can't wait.
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I forgot to mention that you should take a trip to Ithaki if you can. I don't know if the ferries will work for a day trip but you may also be able to go on an organized boat tour (they run from Fiskardo but I don't know if the run from the south). It's a beautiful island and I fell in love with Kioni - gorgeous little bay with a few tavernas at the water's edge.

You'll have a great time!
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Hi Walesgirl

I just returned on Saturday from a 2 week holiday, the first week on Kioni on Ithaca and the second in Assos in Kefalonia. We had a wonderful time and loved both islands. We have been to Kefalonia before, so didn't explore the south of the island on this visit.

Assos is lovely - I'd hardly describe it as built up. A few new buildings have appeared, mainly on the sites of buildings destroyed in the '53 earthquake. There is one luxury apartment complex that is a bit of an eyesore but it's only really visible from the castle. There's a pretty sheltered harbour and a small pebble and shingle beach and a handful of tavernas - I can particularly recommend Nefeli- Anait and Platanos. You can walk up to the old ruined castle on the hilltop, via a steady zig-zag path. The castle itself is fairly overgrown and not much restored, though some work is currently being done but the views are stunning. If you look carefully, there is a path going off to the left, partway up the zig-zags, the next far left point after the church. That goes to the side gate of the castle and is a quicker way up.

Fiscardo is beautiful, the harbour is full of yachts, both flotillas from sailing holidays companies and some huge privately owned yachts. There are some more upmarket restaurants and bars but watch the prices, especially of fish dishes. There is a short pleasant waymarked track under pine trees to the old lighthouse at one end of the harbour. Drive back south via the road that goes high above the east coast of the island for some beautiful views towards Ithaca.

The famous beach under the cliffs mentioned is just south of Assos and is called Myrtos beach. A steep and winding surfaced road goes down to it and there is now a beach cafe, WCs and (allegedly) a life guard, as currents can be strong. It is pebbly at the southern end but there is some sand at the other end. It is also a suntrap with the white pebbles and cliffs reflecting the heat.

A trip to St Georges castle was enjoyable, signposted just south of Argostoli. The castle walls are huge and the centre has been cleared and repaired a little. It has 360 degree fantasic views. The taverna just by the castle gate (also called the castle) is well worth a visit too, with flower filled terraces and delicious snacks or meals. The castle closes on a Monday at at 3pm other days.

If you drive to Argostoli, it is possible to take the car ferry over to Lixouri to explore that peninsula. They run every 30 minutes and cost 4 euros for the car and 1.60 per passenger. If you just want to visit Argostoli, park on the other side of the causeway under the trees and walk in - parking can be mad in the town. Watch out for a tame loggerhead turtle that frequents the lagoon.

Ithaca is also a lovely island, if you get chance to visit. We loved Kioni - also a very popular place with the yachting flotillas. Frikes is smaller than Kioni but also pretty. Vathy is the capital and the biggest place on the island. There are some pretty deserted coves on the island but mainly of pebble and shingle.

Hope you have a wonderful trip - wish I was back there!

Search this Thread