Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to travel (Two weeks in Europe end of June 2013)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

me and a girlfriend (both early 30's) are looking to travel around Northern Italy, France, and possible Sicily next summer for two weeks. We have an IDEA of where we want to go, but I was hoping to get some suggestions on some more quaint and 'not too touristy' places to visit in these areas. I have never been to Paris and I have always wanted to experience the culture and the city, but Im wondering what some peoples thoughts on Paris is. We were possible thinking of Nice too. Are there any other places in France that you would recommend experiencing? Also, what does anyone think would be a great two week trip in or around those areas (Italy, France, Sicily) would anyone maybe throw Switzerland in there at all?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!
Alison in Philly
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Investigate the travel time needed to reach all of these places, and then decide whether that gives you enough time everywhere to see what you want to see. If you agree with most of us here that it's too much geography to cover in 2 weeks, then prioritize what you want to see and figure out much time you need in each place. When you run out of days, look for the nearest airport to fly home. If possible, don't fly into and out of the same place.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM

<<Im wondering what some peoples thoughts on Paris is>>

This leads me to believe that you haven't read any of the thousands and thousands of people's thoughts on Paris right here on this website, not to mention in guidebooks or anywhere else. You might want to start by doing that, as there are mountains of information available to you right here.

For starters, though, you're covering too much territory for a trip of only two weeks, and certainly don't throw Switzerland into the mix unless you eliminate something else.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I realize that its too much to do all of those places, which is why I was looking for feedback. We are in the EARLY EARLY stages of planning this trip, hence the general post. Believe me, I have started do my research and have already begun reading through the thousands of peoples thoughts on the website. This was just another pro-active way to gain suggestions, no?
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Then do come back after you've narrowed your plans.

BTW, if you're traveling on a tight budget, you may want to book your lodging very early in some places, i.e., months in advance.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 01:03 PM

It is always hard for a group of total strangers to advise you where to go when we don't know you or what you like let alson your interests and style of travel. I take it this is your first trip to Europe. With two weeks, I might consider Paris, Nice and Venice. No more than three destinations.

I absolutely love Sicily but wouldn't go there on a first trip on a bet. And it is too far afield from the other possibilities you have mentioned. You haven't mentioned a budget but the more far flung your destinations, the more expensive in both time and money. Consider Italy (Rome, Florence and Venice) or Paris and Switzerland. Do some research and come back when you have a better idea of what you want to see.