Where to stop Berlin/Saarbruken?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Cap

Where to stop Berlin/Saarbruken?

My husband is driving from a conference in Berlin to one near Saarbrucken. He can stop overnight on the way, but where? Can anyone suggest a pleasant little town suitable for an overnite stop?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Ilse

Heidelberg is quite nice. Strassbourg is out of the way, but magnificent...worth it if he is not from Germany. The train ride through the Rhine Valley is one of the best in the world...he should consider that option too.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
David

I liked Wurzburg just southeast of Frankfurt. It was a castle overlooking the town and an excellent palace. The bluff just to the north of downtown is covered with grapevines. I thought it interesting to see such a huge vineyard so close to a downtown.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:15 AM
cap

Train is not an option, for reasons I won't bore you with. He is thinking of stopping in Bamburg, but I think that's crazy -- like driving from Boston to Cleveland via New Jersey.

Thanks for the Wurzburg tip, we'll look into it. Anybody else? He won't have time for much beyond a stroll through the senic part of town, or maybe a nice senic drive along the way.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Harzer

I think we should be a little realistic here and take into account the route that Mr Cap is likely to be taking.

I would suggest he will use the E51 through Leipzig, Jena, Nuremberg, and then head due west on the E50 through Heidelberg, Mannheim, Kaiserslautern to SB. This is something over 700 km and could represent between six and twelve hours driving time, depending on traffic conditions and roadworks.

I would suggest he aim for Nuremberg the first day, with a back-up plan to stop in Bayreuth if the traffic is bad, and in Schwäbisch Hall if he gets a good run.

All these towns have plenty to occupy you during a short stopover.

Harzer