Reload this Page >

The Euro's gotta go

Search

The Euro's gotta go

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
sandi

The Euro's gotta go

Since the Euro, there is nothing cheep anywhere...in my recent travels all the prices of everything is up, quality down..and that is good for the natives I suppose, but makes shopping less fun. Very few handicrafts in Portugal, Mexico, and France, which was once noted for lace, etc. Hand cut crystal in Germany is more expensive than the identical stuff at home, and the VAT tax in England makes shopping for anything of value there prohibitive. So my advice is to go for other reasons, not to shop...you can do that better at home.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:17 PM
???

Yes, last time I went shopping in Mexico and England I noticed the same thing.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
Jeff

A dumb question on my part...<BR><BR>What does the Euro have to do with the price of things in Mexico? And the VAT in the UK?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
cheep cheep cheep

I don't think your economic principles (or your geography) are sound. And VAT tax you can get back.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
dave

sandi, I swear I don't know what you're talking about.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
sue

HI,<BR><BR>i am old enough to remember really good bargins in Europe. Beautiful silver, china, paintings,leather etc. I agree that now shopping in the US is as good, if not better. The good news is that I find it liberating. I do not care if I shop. I look around here and there and buy something, but mainly I now just relax, sit at a cafe, go to the ususal museums, eat and look around. It's not bad.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
whatthehellisthis

I had a chicken once, it had babies,they would go "cheep cheep".

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Perki

Yes, the quality of everything has gone down radically in four months because of the currency being used. Sometimes even because of the currency that's actually not being used. That makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Doesn't it?<BR><BR>That's our Sandi (again)!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
native

If the Euro goes, how shall we chop?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
sarah

The UK and Mexico don't use the euro. Sandi, honey, ya gotta remember to open the windows when you use that glue.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Joe

lately, I really think one has to pass a mental competency test before posting on this board. All you have to do, is read the past day or two's posts.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:43 PM
k

sarah,that was too funny!!!<BR>maybe sandi has an oar or two out of the water but this has at least been funny to read..sometimes the lamest questions will bring out the best answers! there really are some witty sharp people here!Thanks.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:31 PM
aaa

Sandi is wrong and out of step as usual...I think she needs to schedule an extra appointment with her therapist...The Euro is wonderful!! And they are not allowed to raise prices above what they were in the old currency. Does sandi ever leave her room , or does she just sit there obsessing about fat people...We all know you sandi so crawl back in your hole

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
xxx

Sandi is definitely a few petits pains short of a pique-nique, but there is a grain of truth to her ridiculous tale. Shopkeepers in Europe have tended to "round up" the conversion price of items for sale in euros, so that, if, say, something used to be worth 140 francs, they'll now charge $30. It can make a trip to the grocery store a 5-10% higher charge for the average person. Of course, the lowering of quality issue is totally bogus. How could Europe have lowered the quality of its goods in such a short time, and why? And to say that prices are up and quality is down and " that is good for the natives" ??? Excuse me? I must conclude as someone else did that Sandi is on drugs.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:13 PM
s

The shpkeepers may be rounding UP Euros but what about Mexico? LOL...someone is smoking wacky tobaccy~

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:53 PM
Patrick

This gets my vote as the dumbest post of the week (maybe the month or year). The change to Euros affects the price of VAT in England how? You know here in Florida last week the price of a head of lettuce soared to $2.29. I suppose that was all because of the Euro also!!<BR>The only smart thing about the post is the suggestion that you not travel to shop. I've thought that for years!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:07 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I don't follow the logic of this post, but UK VAT is one of the lowest in Europe at 17.5%.<BR><BR>Sweden is 25%, France 20.5% etc.<BR><BR>Peter

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:10 PM
voyageur

I will agree w/Patrick about this one being the dumbest. Unquestionably, MINE was the smartest. But dumb is good, and <BR>this one's bound to be the most popular. hardiharharr!!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Sjoerd

European VAT rates: http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_c...2001-5-1en.pdf

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Sheila

the post is itself a little typical of "our" Sandi; but having just got back from Greece yesterday, I have little doubt there has been some rounding up.<BR><BR>Cost of a meal I'd ahave expected to be about &pound;6 coming in about &pound;8.<BR><BR>Still a lot cheaper than the UK, but not as cheap as it was.<BR><BR>Not necessarily a bad thing tho'. Who wants to exploit