Where to stay/what to do in Connemara?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be heading to Connemara for a night or two upon our arrival in Ireland. Can you tell me where is a good town to hang out in, and what there is to see and do? Also, if you could recommend a decent, clean and fairly inexpensive B&B or Guest house, that would be great! Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM

I go to Connemara for the scenery which I find to be magical and somehow, a little melancholy. It's one of my favorite parts of Ireland.

Roundstone is a beautiful little place on the water. (Parts of the movie 'The Matchmaker'were filmed there.)Malachy Kearns, one of Ireland's best bodhran makers, is based there and you can visit the studio/craft store. I've never stayed overnight.

Clifden is the largest town in the Connemara region. Not too big, but lively. Good restaurants and pubs. Sky Drive, just outside of town, is spectacular on a clear day. I've only stayed at a hotel I wouldn't be excited about recommending.

Kylemore Abbey is stunning and worth a stop.

My favorite Connemara town is tiny Leenane at the end of Killary Harbor. It's one of my personal 'special places' and I find it to be exceptionally peaceful. The drive between Leenane and Louisburgh through the Doolough Valley shouldn't be missed.In Leenane, I've stayed at Avondale House B&B. Simple and not expensive, but with wonderful, welcoming hosts who made us feel very much at home.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Mary's suggestions are great. Clifden is a nice place to stay and there are a number of B&Bs on the Sky Road if you like views. You can stay in town also.

Alos consider Oughterard just north of Galway on Lough Corrib. The Lakeside B&B gets great reviews. On the east side of the lake is Cregg Castle which is owned by two Irish musicians. They do concerts most nights around the fire there. We got to sit in with them when we were there in November. It was great fun. There website is creggcastle.com.

Bill
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I was pretty 'wasted' when I landed in Dublin. I took a CityLink bus to Galway, had lunch at Garvey's and got BusEireann (# 454??) to RossaVeal. You can see a foto of An Cheibh, the GuestHouse near RossaVeal where I stayed at http://groups.msn.com/Gate5
For me, it was just a place to 'crash' and rest up; but they had Irish C&W Thursday nite and Traditional Irish music Friday nite. It's not a town. It's between Spiddal & RossaVeal but it served my purposes. I played golf at Connemara Isles that trip (the last thatched roof clubhouse in Ireland is).
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I am shocked that I am the first person to suggest this but a trip to the Aran Island should certainly be on the list if you are in and about Connemara, especially if near to Rossaveal. This will make for a great half or full day out. The boat ride to the island from Rossaveal is about 40 minutes; from Galway, it's more like an hour and a half.

Lots of little places to drive about and get lost in Connemara. One place I enjoyed was Dan O'Hara's Farm on the main road to Clifden. The story of Dan and his family is quite sad but it's lovely to know that people are still visiting this now organic farm (and B&B! http://www.connemaraheritage.com/) and hearing Dan's tale.

Lots of stuff to see and do... check out www.irelandwest.ie for items that may interest you.

Have a great time!

Wendy
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM

We stayed outside of Clifden at a B&B named Ben Breen. Raymond, the owner, was very friendly, gave us a map of the area with some suggestions of interesting places to visit. Clifden was a lot of fun, listened to live trad music at E.J. Kings. Loved the drive through Doo Lough valley. Clifden is a great location for day trips to Roundstone, Westport and Lough Corrib. There are also several nice restaurants from which to choose. My DH loved the Connemara- very gloomy, rocky and changeable.

We spent two nights in Spiddal at Ardmor Country House. We did take the day trip to the Aran Islands. My DH described it as a "once in a lifetime trip", meaning once you have done it, you never need to do it again. I enjoyed it, especially the sweater markets! Mrs. Vera Finney has won multiple awards for her Irish breakfast and man, she deserves them. The town was not touristy. That was one of the few places where the locals spent a lot of time talking to us in the pubs.

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM

We have stayed in the Dun Ri guest house in Clifton--great place to stay!
Friendly, clean, and a great breakfast.
We are going back to Ireland at the end of March and planning to stay there again.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:36 PM

We ar stayin at the Quay's Inn in Clifden -suppose to be one of Hidden Ireland spots. Anyone else stayed there?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM

A vote for Mal Dua house in Clifden as well.

I love Connemara. MaryZ description of melancholy was spot on.

My favorite drive there is a small road through the Lough Inagh valley. We stop along the lakes there, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I'm out of the car, standing there in a grey mist, with the red tinged bogs, the black water lakes wrapped in shrouded mountains and I sound utterly brilliant, repeating "Wow" over and over again. Probably looked like an idiot, but I love that spot still.

It's a fairly short road that runs between Recess north to a spot just east of Kylemore Abbey (another recommended stop).

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM

We stayed at Mallmore House in Clifden. It is a large home about half a mile from town. It is much nicer than the usual B&B. Our room was quite large, and overlooked the garden. Clifden is a good base to explore Connemara. I second the raves for the scenic drive to Leenane, and for a day trip to the Aran Islands (if the weather is good).