Where to Stay - Sorrento or Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get some opinions on whether we should use Sorrento or Positano as our base for three nights in the Amalfi Coast area. This will be mid- October.

Thanks!!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Sorrento is better connected both to Naples, the islands, Pompeii, and the other Amalfi Coast towns. The Circumvesuviana connects Naples to Sorrento and you can stop in Pompeii. From Sorrento you can take the Caremar boats to Capri and Ischia. And Sita buses link Sorrento to the other towns. I would stay there even if Positano is a gorgeous place.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM

For exactly the same reason a Batufolina wrote, we're glad we based our 4-night stay a couple of weeks ago in Sorrento.

Don't get me wrong, I thinl Positano is a lovely town. However, nothing beats the convenience of Sorrento for doing daytrips everywhere, in addition to having a nice relaxing beachfront hotel to unwind and , well, relax when one just wants to see the world go by in a beautiful surrounding.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations! Any hotel recommendations for Sorrento?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM

If you want to splurge, the Hotel Excelsior Victoria is a historic and wonderful place. It's a 5 star hotel.
ANother good hotel (4 star) is Hotel Minerva.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM

We liked Hotel Tramontano, which is a 4-star very close to the old part of town and the main square ( Piazza Tasso). Many people here also recommend Bellevue Syrene, which is just down the block from Hotel Tramontano.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:29 AM

We're just back from 10 days in Sorrento which proved to be a perfect base to explore the area. Easy (half)day tripping by Sita bus (45 min. to Positano / a little over an hour to Amalfi ... if you are lucky AND if the bus shows up!) or by catamaran (Metro del Mare) ; frequent Circumvesuviana connections to Pompei, Herculaneum and Napoli.
We stayed at hotel Mediterraneo in Sant Agnello di Sorrento, a 15 min. (flat) walk to downtown Sorrento, or by free hotel shuttle, or Circumvesuviana busstop in front of the door. Very convenient location away from the tourist crowd, lovely hotel, professional staff.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:41 AM

We stayed at Ambasciatorri (sp?). About 10 minute walk to Sorrento historic center/downtown area. Very clean, quiet and comfortable hotel with a pool and a private beach.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:59 AM

We had the same question a while back in planning our trip for late March and decided on Sorrento fo all of the reasons listed here. We also looked at a lot of different hotels and are working on booking a room right now in the Hotel Il Faro which is right on the Marina Piccolo. Any feedback from someone who has stayed there? it got some good reviews on Trip Advisor and we're hoping to get a 15% discount since we read about it in Rick Steves' guide book. Since we plan to go out to Capri one day it will be very convenient for there and we're hoping the stairs/road up to town won't be too bad. Definitely closer to the train and center of town than some of the other hotels.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM

HI,
if you want to visit the area and not only I advise you a cheap and comfortable accomodation, a nice holidayhouse in the city of Salerno.
It is well located with trains, buses and motor-craft connections every day.
The house is only 10 min. from railway station, harbour,sea.
Conact me for info, rates, photo gallery of the places to see.
Ciao
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM

jcasale, yes it certainly appears to be closer to the train and center but remember there is a gigantic cliff between you and them. Some of the other hotels are on a more even base with the town altho they appear further away, such as Hotel Settimo Cielo.

Il Faro is a nice hotel though and their restuarant has good food and entertainment at night. I like the location, myself, just be aware that it is at water level, beneath the town.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Hotel Antiche Mura is a great spot. It's only a block away from both Piazzo Tasso and the train station. Also a short walk to where the ferries leave.

While it doesn't have a view of the ocean, it does have nice views of its own, a pool, and a great breakfast.

Definitely worth checking out.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Bellevue Serene with a waterfront room and it was fabulous.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Just back from a 7 night stay in Sant Ag'nello just outside Sorrento. We stayed in the Majestic Palace Hotel. Room No. 501. (502 and 503 seemed to be a suite) Top floor. Nice room with a large balcony. Large enough for 2 Sun Loungers & Table. Sea View. Good size bathroom with Jacuzzi bath. Good breakfast, finishes at 9.30am. The earlier you are up the better choice. Didn't have evening meal there but the menu looked good each evening. Quiet area. Nice restaurant just up the road called the Crawford Pizzeria. (2 starters, 2 Main courses and a bottle of wine - under €50.) Minutes away from Sita Bus, Train Station (only 2 minutes to Sorrento). Very convenient. Nice staff, especially in restaurant, couldn't complain about anything really.
We got the SITA bus to Positano and Amalfi. Could have done with a leg massage after all the steps in Positano! Beautiful scenery. Scary bus ride! Train to Pompeii was very crowded (both directions) - it was Sunday. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Hi Martina!
We must have crossed paths in Sorrento last week. The Mediterraneo where we stayed was only steps away from the Majestic Palace. We liked the location very much.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I'd say Sorrento because of its more central location to getting around the islands (Capri, Procida, Ischia, etc) and it makes a good base for day trips to Naples, Paestum, Pompeii, etc as well too. I love Sorrento and keep going back there every year!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Perhaps my web page describing our trip to the Amalfi coast can help your trip planning.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/amalfi.html

BTW, I agree with Batuffolina that Sorrento is a good base, although you will only be there for three nights, and it depends on what you want to see and do. We stayed 3 nights in Sorrento and 3 nights in Praiano.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM

hi sssteve- I visited your webpage, and loved your photo of the sea from the beach at Marina Praia with the colorful boats in the foreground, beautiful!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:10 AM

Thanks Bellastar!!

I like that picture too. I have a framed 8X10 of it on my wall. It's actually more interesting than it seems at first glance. Can you make out the couple sleeping in each other's arms between the two main boats??
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:39 AM

That's indeed a great shot sssteve.
Too bad you didn't make it to Naples. It was the highlight of our trip! At least one authentic city left in this area ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -