Search

Where to stay on Lake Como with Car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay on Lake Como with Car

Hi

We will be travelling by car from Bergamo airport to lake como for 5 days.

Where would be a good base?

We are happy to use public transport once we reach our base

Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Personally I would recommend you not let renting a car dictate the basics of your trip. If you are not already planning to use the car to go to places that you can't reach by public transportation then it would be much cheaper and more liberating to pay for a taxi transfer from Bergamo airport to the hotel you'd most like to stay in on the lake. Otherwise you are spending a lot of money everyday to park the car and you may be tempted to forego spending time on the lake relaxing and enjoying boat rides because you feel like you "should" be using the car.

If you want the car to take day trips then pick what day trips you want to take and figure out which side of the lake would be most convenient for taking those day trips.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 01:51 PM

Bellagio
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Is Bellagio or Varenna easier to drive to?

A taxi is about 4 times the cost of the car rental, and I am looking at accommodation with free parking?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed t the Grand Tremezzo Hotel next to Villa Carlotta and took the boats everywhere on the lake--very easy. My favoeite dinner of all our travels was at Al Veluu in the hills above Tremezzo.
The view from the terrace over to Bellagio is stunning.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Lombardy.html

Unfortunately, the Tremezzo Hotel has been remodled since then and is quite pricy. If it's in your budget, go for it.

Once you are on the lake, the boats will be an easy way go from town to town.

Bellagio probably has the most restaurants & shops in one place. Varenna was quite lovely, but other than the villas & gardens, not much there.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
BTW, we drove there from Malpensa airport and I don't remember paying extra for parking.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 03:23 PM

What were you quoted for a taxi transfer and what were you quoted for a 5 day rental in and out of the airport?

At most a taxi to Bellagio will be 175e and even the lowest price 5-day rental is not going to beat that price by much -- and you will need to pay for gas. But if you were told that a taxi will be 4 times the cost of a rental -- 500 euros? -- you should get some quotes from hotels.

I'm assuming if you got a taxi transfer to your hotel you would take public transportation back to the airport. It is not hard to do once you are on the lake.

I think if you are choosing a location on the lake based on what is easiest to drive to then maybe you aren't comfortable driving in Italy? If so then it is worth the few extra euros to have someone else drive you.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 03:46 PM

From looking at the map, the road to Varenna looks less curvy but...

1. It's the same road to both towns until the last 30 to 45 minutes.

2. I drove up the other side to Bellagio and it was not a bad drive.

3. Don't choose where to stay based on the road as you can drive to Varenna and put the car on the ferry to Bellagio.

I liked Bellagio more than Varenna as there was more activity in the evening and more restaurant choices.