Rome to Amafi coast

Search

Rome to Amafi coast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Amafi coast

I'm planning a trip with my son to Rome then on to Pompeii, Capri and the Amalfi coast in early November. We have 8 nights to spend there. His interests are history, ruins, food and wine.
We will probably start with 3 nights in Rome then 1 night in Naples. Maybe 2 nights in Sorrento to see Pompeii and Capri. Then travel down the coast and spend one night in Positano or Ravello before heading back to Rome.
Suggestions for the itinerary or activities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 04:15 PM

I would definitely check schedules in and around Sorrento for the ferry, etc....I would think the schedules in Nov would be rather limited. That could impact what you want you do. Have you nothing already been to Rome--- if not 3 days is cutting it short.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Be aware that the National Archeological Museum in Naples (which you'll likely want to see because it houses the Pompeii treasures) is closed on Tuesdays.

Your itinerary would be workable, but rather than moving around so much, think about one base after Naples. If your son is mainly interested in history and ruins, plan on at least a half day at Pompeii, and then go on to wherever you are staying. Have you thought about visiting Herculaneum and Paestum? Both are wonderful archaeological sites. (Check online, in a good guidebook, or here on Fodor's for more info about both.) If they appeal to you, consider making Salerno or Vietri sul Mare your base rather than Sorrento and/or Positano. You could still easily reach stunning Positano and/or beautiful Amalfi and Ravello for a day trip (or two) if you tire of seeing ruins.

I envy you traveling with your son. So nice.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Yes, be aware that in November many hotels and restaurants will be closed for the season and some ferry routes don;t run at all and others on much reduced schedules. If the seas are very rough the ferries to Capri don't run at all.

One benefit is that Pompeii should be less arduous - since in summer it can be incredibly hot with not shade at all.

I would do a lot of checking on the sights you are interested in - since they may be open shorter hours in the off season - and it will definitely be getting dark much earlier.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 05:05 PM

If you are into ruins and archeological things, do a 1/2 day trip out of Rome to Ostia Antica. A short, easy train ride out of Rome.

http://www.ostia-antica.org/
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 05:16 PM

If your son enjoys food and wine you might consider staying in Naples rather than Sorrento. There is much more to see in Naples with great art all around and history underfoot and the food is much much better and less expensive than Sorrento.

Some of your plans will really need to be "carpe diem" due to weather In November I wouldn't lock into a hotel reservation in Positano or Ravello. You can do it last minute (there will be plenty of availability and the great majority of hotels stay open all year). You might need the flexibility for your other day trips. Since November days are shorter you might also consider foregoing an overnight in Positano or Ravello and doing a day trip there instead. I might consider getting a taxi from Naples to Ravello and then slowly working my way back by public transportation.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 05:20 PM

One more thing: You might consider going directly to Naples from Rome airport upon arrival if you can handle another two hours or so of travel. Depends on how complicated your flight over is. But you would buy some time for the rest of your trip doing that.