Where to stay on Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to spend 3 nights along the Amalfi Coast. The first day we're planning to see Pompeii on our way from Rome. Second day explore the Amalfi Coast. Third day likely take a ferry to Capri before returning to Rome in the evening. Any recommendations for which town to stay in or any specific B&B?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM

I HIGHLY recommend this B&B:

http://www.agriturismovillamaria.it/

It is in one of the smaller town, but the view from the top is incredible! It is like your own little paradise. The prices are awesome, the food is amazing!! We ate dinner each night there and just tumbled back to our room. It is quite a hike up once you park your car, but hey! You need some way to burn off the extra calories.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM

We stayed below Ravello at Punta Civita. Ravello is charming, and has a one of our favorite Restaurants of all time, "Cumpa Cosimo". Roberto, the owner of the B&B is a gem, and the B&B just lovely, spectacular views. We really liked the location, we didn't want to stay right in one of the towns.

http://www.puntacivita.it/

From Ravello we visited Pompeii and several Amalfi villages and gardens, and took a boat up and down the coast (arranged by Roberto)

Check the reviews on Trip Advisor, and book early if you decide you want to stay there.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM

We stayed at http://www.hotelcaliforniapositano.it/ (Hotel Albergo California). We loved it. I discovered it in a Budget Travel Magazine article on Italy & then learned that it is the Positano hotel from the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun". Owners love to talk about the movie shoot & show the actual room that was used. Stunning view & quite affordable for Positano hotels. Day trips to Capri are offered at the dock. The hotel owners (at the time we were there) are brother & sister & she made excellent dinner recommendations that were always spot on. Super friendly; felt like we were visiting our Italian aunt & uncle!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Will you have a car? What time of year are you traveling?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

We'll be traveling end of May 2012. Hoping to do the trip with public transportation.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Ohhhh w/o a car. My recommendation would be quite difficult...that Punta Civita looks amazing! Man, now I need to go back!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorrento would be the easiest for what you listed, but technically isn't on the Amalfi coast.

I don't think your plan will work very well because of luggage storage. Pompeii does have free storage at the entrance (not at the station). Taking your luggage on the ferry to Capri and arranging storage does not seem easy, but perhaps there is some type of storage at the port.

Will you be returning to Rome? I've left my luggage at my hotel in Rome before and spent a few days on the coast. Just took a backpack with me, but was returning to the hotel in Rome.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Punta Civita does have a bus stop at the end of the driveway, but I don't know how that would work with the rest of your plans. If you're interested in staying there, you might email Roberto, he could tell you more.

We actually had his cousin provide taxi service into Ravello at night for our dinners. I usually drive, and I was not going to drive those mountain roads at night (besides, I wanted to drink wine and Limoncello!)

Driving to Pompeii from Punta Civita was no problem during the day. We were there in the fall and saw men gathering chestnuts with mules in the forests along the road. Amazing!