Reload this Page >

Where to stay: Naples or Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Ana

I will be going in mid-March and will be coming from Rome to the Naples area. There seems to be many strong opinions of Naples (not usually good). What are the advantages of staying in Naples vs. Sorrento? The main thing that I want to do in this area is go to Pompeii & eat great food. From here I will go on to Palermo & Taormina.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Jean

We stayed six days in Sorrento at the Bellevue Syrene Hotel (which I highly recommend). Spent only one day in Naples.<BR><BR>No complaints with Naples; we didn't have any negative experiences. It's a big city with a lot to see. However, we thought Sorrento was more convenient to our plans. Besides our day in Naples, we spent a full day at Pompei, another day on Capri (not enough time), a day seeing the towns along the Amalfi Coast, and a day exploring Sorrento.<BR><BR>We only had lunch in Naples, so I can't compare, but we felt we ate very well in Sorrento.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:33 PM
crusty

In a perfect world <BR>I would stay in Capri. A beautiful place especially in the evening when most of the tourists have left for the day...

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Michelle

Dear Ana:<BR><BR>Having just been in that area last month, I would vote for Sorrento.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:46 PM
peter

sorrento gets my vote. you can take the aliscarfo from sorrento to napoli-about a 15 minute trip

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Holly

Does the aliscarfo run in March and April?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Selena

Sorrento...

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 02:44 PM
gac

I would stay in Sorrento UNLESS I wanted an in-depth exploration of the Churches, Monuments and Museums of the city of Naples, and preferred an urban (rather than resort) environment.