Where to stay in San Sebastian??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in San Sebastian??

Hi everyone.

We are planning to stay in San Sebastian for 5 nights in October. We looked at all of our choices and selected the Maria Cristina. The Maria Cristina was more expensive than our usual choices but we this was going to be our splurge. Unfortunately, it turns out that the Maria Cristina will be closed for renovations during October.

So now we are looking at other hotels. Quality and location are on the top of the wish list. We want to be able to leave our car parked at the hotel and be able to walk to the old town for dinner-rain or shine. Here is what we came up as our choices:

Hotel Londres: Close to the action but based on Trip Advisor reviews, it seems like it has gone downhill and is in need of repair.

Villa Soro: Sounds nice and upscale but apparently is a good 20 minute walk into Old Town.

Hotel Astoria 7: Again, a 20 minute walk or so into Old Town.

Hotel Niza: Would be fine if we could be sure to have a sea view room. But without the sea view, it sounds like a very ordinary place to stay.

Am I missing any other hotel possibilities or does anyone have any othe pros or cons to the above list to help us make our choice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM

I don't think Londres would be a bad option.

But you might consider these hotels just on the other side of the river Urumea in the Gros district. 5 mins walking to the Parte vieja/Old town. The Zurriola beach and some of the best pintxos bars in town on your doorstep:

Hotel Arrizul:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/arri...4f6b85f529df27

Hotel & Suites Arrizul Gros:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/arri...5f8ceb3ad67,6#

Hotel Gran Bahía Bernardo:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/gran...f8ceb3ad67,12#
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM

We just booked a room at Pension Bellas Artes for our trip there in July. It is on the edge of town, but within in walking distance to all the action. We chose it based on the rave reviews on trip advisor. I've emailed back and forth with the owner and she seems very nice.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...y.html#REVIEWS
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Hotel de Londres is my favorite in town. Have you considerer rent an apartment? I went to El balcón del Buen Pastor apartment and it was very convinience, great location and new.

balcondelbuenpastor.blogspot.com
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM

The owners of Bellas Artes are some of the nicest people I've ever met. The one drawback is that there is a disco across the street and on weekends you can't sleep even with earplugs until they close around 6 am. If you can get an interior room in their annex it is best. If you're not there on a weekend don't worry. The owner herself is perplexed at all of the good reviews. It is a normal pension on a city block but as I said, they are wonderful people.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM

What do people think of Hotel Niza? I know they will not guarantee sea front rooms. What about location?
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM

We stayed at the Astoria 7 for 4 nights last spring. The location is in a quiet, tree-filled neighborhood which is a 15 walk to the beach/old town. The public spaces and rooms are new and very modern with a "movie picture" theme. The breakfast was outstanding. We recommend highly if you don't mind the walk into the center
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Parma, a nice simple hotel, at the edge of the old town and just a bridge away from Gros. Very convenient and reception was very nice and helpful. We were just there 2 weeks ago. We got so lucky to have 3 days of sunshine (in March) in San Sebastian.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM

If I wanted to spurge a little, the Villa Soro would be my first option. A superior sea view room on the upper floor at the Londres would be my second, and until the Maria Cristina is completely renovated, it would be down the list somewhat. The Astoria 7 has the same owner as the Villa Soro and you can expect excellent service, and as mentioned, it's not that far from the Old City. The walk will only help to work up an appetite.

The Niza is fine location wise, but since they will not commit to a sea view room, I'd look elsewhere.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM

alliesun10 - The Pension Bellas Artes is not air conditioned, which you might enjoy in July as it's been getting warmer every year.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Robert - Didn't know about the air conditioning. I've lived without AC for the last 5 years in the heat and humidity in the Northeast, so I think I'll survive Thanks for the heads up!